• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where's the 02 sensor ground

xjRyan96

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I've came to a conclusion about my 96 jeep cherokee sport. It's been throwing 02 sensor codes at me so i got new ones, well that didn't work. So i traced it down to a bad ground. But the problem is i don't know where it is grounded to. I read that it might be on the block, but where.Can anyone help. Thanks :helpme:

Isn't the exhaust it self grounded? so the exhaust would be ground....

Make your own ground. Just strip some paint off the unibody and put a grade 8 bolt with a washer into it. Everything in the car shares the same ground (the body/frame)

Not sure if the exhaust is grounded... It hangs on rubber-ish exhaust hangers and where it connects to the engine has gaskets. Im not sure tho, probably not the best choice of places to ground.

Did you get the error saying "O2 sensor voltage higher than accepted value" or something along those lines??

On a 2000, the 02 sensors are grounded through wires. THe heater circuit grounds through a black wire and the sensor circuit is grounded back into the ECM through a brown / yellow wire.

Hallo. The Zirconium O2 sensor has 4 wires.
Sometimes 2 whites for the heating element and one grey for the ground and the black one for the data.(generate its own voltage signal to the ECU. 0.1 -1.0 Volt)
It is advisable to use the OEM wires and connector, because the sensor receives fresh oxygen (outside air) through the black wire for comparison. Yes, between the copper and the isolation!!!!
Never solder the wires or pack the sensor connector with grease. :shhh: And watch out with silicon, it will kill the sensor.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Make your own ground. Just strip some paint off the unibody and put a grade 8 bolt with a washer into it. Everything in the car shares the same ground (the body/frame)

Not sure if the exhaust is grounded... It hangs on rubber-ish exhaust hangers and where it connects to the engine has gaskets. Im not sure tho, probably not the best choice of places to ground.

Did you get the error saying "O2 sensor voltage higher than accepted value" or something along those lines??

I ended up reading, o2 sensor high volts, and o2 sensor heater curcuit malfunction. So i believe the cause of the high volts is a bad ground thus messing up the heater curcuit. I don't know im not good with electrical.

Hallo. It is not so easy to take measurements on a O2 sensor.
The heater element is only working in the warming up mode.
The sensor itself ,you can only test in a good way with a scope.
Did you take out the sensor maybe for a bench test?
Did you use a heater to warming up the tip and read the Voltage?
So why not renew the little bastard? :wierd:

'92 XJ

I have this strange problem where i believe i have a short in my o2 circuit. I always get an error on startup saying that o2 sensor voltage was higher than accepted values. So thinking it was broken, i replaced it. No help. Finnaly i tried again with no o2 sensor and it still gave the same error.

I still get 16mpg with out it plugged in, so im not too concerned.

Hallo. It is not so easy to take measurements on a O2 sensor.
The heater element is only working in the warming up mode.
The sensor itself ,you can only test in a good way with a scope.
Did you take out the sensor maybe for a bench test?
Did you use a heater to warming up the tip and read the Voltage?
So why not renew the little bastard? :wierd:

'92 XJ

the sensors are brand new. does anyone know here to start for looking for a broken wire. I believe the injectors, coolant sensor,and coolant switch all share the same ground.

Back