• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHY WHY WHY

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
So coming home from work today I saw a XJ. Lime green paint with metalic flakes, tinted windows, 20" shiny wheels and tires that looked thiner then a ruber band and the thing was sitting about looked to be less then six inches off the ground.
I'm not looking for this person to say nice ride or anything but to say WTF why would you do that to that poor truck. Who ever this is in my opinion you are a moron.
Sorry just had to put it out there. Waiting to see if I see one going down the road on hydraulics jumping the front end up and down in the air. Have to ask your self what is wrong with some people, I know we all should have are own taste and all, but this is pushing it.

I've often wondered about those who "slam" 4x4s. There seems to be no point to lowering a four wheel drive vehicle, it's designed for high-clearance off-road use. Maybe they like the large interior room but want that uber-low, speed-bump scraping stance, I just don't know.

I seen a bad one on pinks. It was slammed tubbed had 33" slicks on the back small block chev I think. Looked like it would have been fast but it spit the trans out on the ground at the start line. First time ever seen a car have so mutch power the trans actually hit the ground in pieces.

Dave
p.s did you see them tires I told you about?

I have 3 vehicles, all of them are 4x4 and all of them are lifted. Having said this, I have total respect for all types of modified vehicles. I have seen some really "sick" custom modified vehicles that I may totally think are disgustingly ugly or impractical but I can still appreciate them in many ways.

4WD is not only for high clearance off road use, it has many other practical applications for street use also. There are numerouse high performance sports cars and "supercars" that are either AWD or 4WD.

Even though all my vehicles are lifted, I would like to add a few "lowered" or even stock height vehicles to my stable both 4WD and 2WD.

Tollerance seems to be something significantly lacking in this society!
Michael

No don't get me wrong I agree I like all mods. We do lowering and hydrualic set ups for people(now going to start doing off road rigs still got some learning to do for that though). I just don't see the reason for doing it to a rig that was intended for off road use. I think everyone should have their own taste and style.

Just got through doing a 87 drop top cadi for a guy and we had to lift it and through some 26" wheels on it, candy paint and white leather interior. Not my taste but it is what the guy wanted so we did it.

If the money is right we'll do what ever someone wants to a car I just don't get the lowering of a off road rig thats all.

I have 3 vehicles, all of them are 4x4 and all of them are lifted. Having said this, I have total respect for all types of modified vehicles. I have seen some really "sick" custom modified vehicles that I may totally think are disgustingly ugly or impractical but I can still appreciate them in many ways.

4WD is not only for high clearance off road use, it has many other practical applications for street use also. There are numerouse high performance sports cars and "supercars" that are either AWD or 4WD.

Even though all my vehicles are lifted, I would like to add a few "lowered" or even stock height vehicles to my stable both 4WD and 2WD.

Tollerance seems to be something significantly lacking in this society!
Michael

I agree, tolerance is fine. But really, is the guy with the lowered S-10 or XJ doing any sort of racing or anything else practical for the mod? Unlikely. He's probably pumping bass through a couple huge subs and cruising around with his buddies. And the AWD performance street vehicles you're referring are not modded 4x4s, they're designed specifically for high speed traction and handling.

I can certainly "tolerate" slammed 4x4s and weep for the mentality that created them at the same time. ;)

I have a buddy with a 2wd auto S-10 pick-up which he wants to sell for a 4wheel drive manual S-10 pick-up so he can lower it, and do some mods for drag racing. That I can respect because he's using it for it's intended purpose.

However I do not have respect for the H2s that are lifted a foot and have 30" chrome rims, and things of the sort. Any car modified just to make a look a certain way is silly to me. Granted, I can totally understand trying to make your vehicle look a certain way WHILE modding it for a purpose. But, to each their own. I won't shove my opinions down someone throat if they don't try to do the same.

~Scott

I can certainly "tolerate" slammed 4x4s and weep for the mentality that created them at the same time. ;)

I don't disagree, but here are a couple of perspectives.

Some time ago I considered getting a "Denali" Suburban (the one with the plastic fairings, speed hole grill, lower stance, etc). That model comes only with a AWD system that was not what I needed for towing etc but I prefered the "look" of that model. I could totally see lowering a AWD truck like that.

If I was looking for a pick up truck or suv that I wanted lowered (for looks, ease of getting in and out of, because it was easier for the family, because my wife liked the look of them, or any other reasons) and yet we did go skiing and such, I would do it to a 4x4 over a 2wd.

How about an old step side pick up truck slammed with custom paint, windows, wheels, big block power, etc. Traditionally these are 2wd, but I could see doing one in 4x4 (I know it would create some clearance issues) but I could see it having some advantages on the track also, possibly?

Just thinking outloud ;)
Michael

Well then that is going back to what has been said, then you are doing it for a reasen for racing not just the look. Hell lower the over sized suv all you want I couldn't see taking a Denali or any suburban on the trails and ways.

Yes we all need to have tollerance but why do it to something that is meant for the trails when the mods you are doing have no meaning besides for looks.

I tried snow boarding once kept falling on my back, you would think snow is soft but it isn't. Like I said I tried it once just don't have the ballence it takes to keep myself upright on that dang thing.

Some guy down here in the Bay Area has one with like 20s i think there huge for an XJ think he had to put a lift on to clear the tires. The worst part for me is its acctualy a 4 wheel drive. how f---ing stupid. 2 wheel drive whatever but this. :eek:

I will re-state my opinion. I can see lifting, lowering, or customizing any car in many different ways strictly for looks, performance, economy, advertizing, and many other reasons. I don't see what it wrong with lowering a 4x4.

As a side note, there are VERY few people who don't make modifications to their vehicles based solely on "looks"!

Michael

Back