• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bang from Reverse to Drive_2001 XJ

kesfplanner

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all! So I have searched this issue throughout and still cannot make heads or tails of what is happening here. I have a 2001 Cherokee with a 3" suspension lift and 31" Procomps. I have replaced U-joints, tierods, ball joints and tranny mount to date. Not because of this issue but because they needed to be changed. That being said, I have a bit of a bang going from reverse to drive ONLY. Any thoughts on what this can be? I am thinking something with regard to the differential, but not sure. Additionally, I have a bit of play and a noise/bang when turning sometimes, but pretty sure that the track bar as it needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts on what track bar I should get?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Find a good level spot. Block the wheels. Put it in neutral. Get under and see how much free play rotation you have in the driveshaft. Are you lifted with blocks between the springs and axle? If so, is that stuff loose or has it broken a spring?

Do you have a locker?Are you running a stock driveshaft?

Question 1: What is you idle rpm in Park/Neutral?

Question 2: What is your idle rpm in Reverse?

Question 3: What is your idle rpm in Drive?

Oh..no locker...stock driveshaft...i have changed the u-joints recently in the rear driveshaft...it is lifted 3" with blocks between leaf springs...will check the ubolts and leafs...thanks again guys! It always happens in 2WD so wouldnt that single out the transfer case?

It always happens in 2WD so wouldnt that single out the transfer case?
That would actually point to the transfer case since it sends the drivetrain into a binding(what t-case do you have,Id assume a 231)!

I am having the same problem. I have a 1998 with an NP231. I put it on a lift and spin the rear wheels. There seems to be a bit of play when I spin either rear wheel before it engages and starts spinning the opposite side wheel. Seems like something in the differential is loose. Although, I have had this same symptom since the day I got the jeep with 130,000 on it. It now has 160k with no increase of severity. I just put it in neutral before I go into Drive.

Oh..no locker...stock driveshaft...i have changed the u-joints recently in the rear driveshaft...it is lifted 3" with blocks between leaf springs...will check the ubolts and leafs...thanks again guys! It always happens in 2WD so wouldnt that single out the transfer case?

Its most likely the slip yoke,remove it,grease it and try it.You probably need an sye kit!

Back