• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 questions

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What would be a fair price on a 98 explorer 8.8 with 4.10s and LSD?

Also, what are the cheapest bracket kits out there? Im trying to do this on the cheap...

I've heard you can just re-use the d35 brackets.... but is that only the shock brackets, or the control arm brackets too?

Will I need a brake balancer to balance the braking pressure between the front and rear disks?
How do you get the e-brake to work?

I've heard the 8.8 calipers are slightly smaller than ZJ brakes. I've done the ZJ kit and haven't had any problems with the back not doing enough or (worse) locking up early and sliding the back end around. Even in snow and hard stomps on the pedal - it seems balanced just fine with the stock valve.
You'll be good to go.
Don't know about the e-brake

THere was a local junkyard here. I was searching around for a 3.55 Trac-Lok for my Grand Marquis. There was an 8.8 lying out of a vehicle at the enterence to the yard. Pulled the cover. It had a 4.10 and Trac-Lok. It might still be there actually, I was going to pull the carrier and pinion but the bolt holding the pin in the carrier was stripped........

They are something like $70-80 for a loaded axle on half price day (Tuesdays)

Not sure if you could negotiate with somebody based on that or not!

I paid $180 at the self serve JY including brakes.

The rear brakes were fine for me by removing the plunger seal and spring from the proportioning valve. They feel surprisingly well balanced.

I also intended to do my 8.8 swap on the cheap, but these projects always go over budget. Check out my post:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1000520&highlight=explorer+setup

I paid 225 for my 8.8 complete. M4O has shock mounts and spring perches. quality. For the brakes I removed the valve and hardlined them from the master. Hope it helps.

Removing the prop valve components doesn't sound like a good idea. Would be better to get a ZJ prop valve since most of them have rear discs.

With no prop valve, if you lose a front brake line or a rear or whatever, you lose all your brakes because it doesn't isolate the opposite system from the failed system!

Removing the prop valve components doesn't sound like a good idea. Would be better to get a ZJ prop valve since most of them have rear discs.

With no prop valve, if you lose a front brake line or a rear or whatever, you lose all your brakes because it doesn't isolate the opposite system from the failed system!

On XJ's the fronts are isolated from the rear at the master cylinder. The prop valve keeps these isolated whether you take out the seals or not.

The prop valve's function is to control only bias to the REAR and also have a residual valve built in for your rear drums. Gutting the prop valve will make it into a distribution block.

My 8.8 with 3.55's and LSD cost $250. I gutted it to install an Ected LS/Locker. Haven't messsed with the brake proportioning valve yet...seems OK. Just wrapped the cable around the e-brake on the 8.8...put on a cable clamp...works fine.

Back