• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One Last Shock Travel ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
The Shocks I am going to order come in size's that will give me.

6" up and 5" down travel
or
4" up and 6" down travel

This is with a 21" Static distance, from mount to mount.
So my question is; what would be better, more up or more down travel ?

Hmm, all specific knowledge aside, I would think down travel, since up will most likely (depending on tire size and fender cutting) be somewhat limited by tire size/bumpstops. Take it with a grain of salt though...I am still in the learning process on XJ's.
-Aaron

You are saying that with a longer total travel shock, with presumably a longer body, you will have MORE up travel than with a shorter total travel shock, that has presumably a shorter body?

Sorry, am I missing something?

Either should be fine anyway.

No, I don't believe that any more. With low steer, you're not going to put steering links or a panhard through the oilpan. You can keep the driveline out of the exhaust, trim the fenders, make room. If you have a solid ride height, you can tell how much travel you'd get out of a shock, and limit it as needed.

You are saying that with a longer total travel shock, with presumably a longer body, you will have MORE up travel than with a shorter total travel shock, that has presumably a shorter body?
Sorry, am I missing something?
Either should be fine anyway.

My Static distance is 21"

One shock measures 26.5 - 15.5
The other is 24.5 - 14.5

Just wondering if more up travel is better, or more down travel is better

Ride height is 21" mount-mount, the 24.5" mount-mount extended gives 3.5" of droop, 14.5" gives 6.5" of compression...I'd say unsat.

The 26.5" gives 5.5" increase in shock length from 21" ride height, 15.5" is 5.5" less when collapsed...I'd do that. If you really wanted to, a bar pin eliminator would burn an inch of compression, giving 4.5" of uptravel and 6.5" of droop. I run bar pin eliminator eliminators.

Ride height is 21" mount-mount, the 24.5" mount-mount extended gives 3.5" of droop, 14.5" gives 6.5" of compression...I'd say unsat.

The 26.5" gives 5.5" increase in shock length from 21" ride height, 15.5" is 5.5" less when collapsed...I'd do that. If you really wanted to, a bar pin eliminator would burn an inch of compression, giving 4.5" of uptravel and 6.5" of droop. I run bar pin eliminator eliminators.

Thanks Phil;
Got it, I'll go with the 26.5"

whats the lift height! i have a 3" and use all the droop on the on thier 24.50 shocks,unseat coil 3/4 ". just curious!!

I installed the RE 3.5" Lift, however it gave me 4" front and 5" rear.
My rig had no sag at all, it sat right at factory specs.
So I'm going witht the 26.5 - 15.5 front
and I think the 24.5 - 14.5 rear with BPE's.
I'm hoping the rear will settle a bit, but I called RE and they said no it will not settle at all, so I may have to remove a leaf to drop it 1"
Or add another spring pad to raise the front 1"
Right now I have a Rake.

I installed the RE 3.5" Lift, however it gave me 4" front and 5" rear.
My rig had no sag at all, it sat right at factory specs.
So I'm going witht the 26.5 - 15.5 front
and I think the 24.5 - 14.5 rear with BPE's.
I'm hoping the rear will settle a bit, but I called RE and they said no it will not settle at all, so I may have to remove a leaf to drop it 1"
Or add another spring pad to raise the front 1"
Right now I have a Rake.
It will settle lol, just put some weight in the AZZ end till it does.bummer thier closed and like i said i got mine in 24 hrs from them at standard shipping rate. enjoy!

Back