• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruffstuff 8.8 simple swap kit.

terrystasko

NAXJA Forum User
I had a hard time searching this topic, but wanted to find out what you guys did with this kit

1. did you grind the nubs flat on the perches, or did you leave the top ones so that you can get more penetration with the weld?

2. What did you do with the shock mounts...did anyone try mounting them on top of the axle like they were designed for?

Thanks!

I ground the two at the end of the axle tube radius and left the ones in the center and the shop that welded them in didn't say it was a bad idea on my part. I think I ended up with some of Dan's other shock mounts.

I left the tabs in place...my friend did the welding for me and said it would help with penetration.

I exchanged the shock mounts for ones designed to mount to the side of the axle tubes. Even there they are too high, resulting in little room for the shock. I plan on making further mods to lower the shock mounts even further. As it is now, I have to run stock length shocks even though I've got 3" of lift plus 1.5" shackle lift! There's no way you'd find a shock short enough if mounts were on top of the axle...unless you have a way-high lift.

I left the tabs in place...my friend did the welding for me and said it would help with penetration.

I exchanged the shock mounts for ones designed to mount to the side of the axle tubes. Even there they are too high, resulting in little room for the shock. I plan on making further mods to lower the shock mounts even further. As it is now, I have to run stock length shocks even though I've got 3" of lift plus 1.5" shackle lift! There's no way you'd find a shock short enough if mounts were on top of the axle...unless you have a way-high lift.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/axle-side-mount-shock-brackets-p-210.html

I think we used the same parts. I'm going to be lowering these some how because I want a longer shock for more travel, I'm at 4 inches of lift in the back and using these mounts a stock shock is too long.

Any Photos of these mounted on a F8.8 on a XJ, anyone?

Here is a pic of my setup using the parts from RS. I used a set of tabs for the shocks. Might be a little hard to see but they are there. I still need to actually attach the shocks and I'm at 6.5".

3691500336_183853d06e.jpg

They are about an inch away from the U-bolts. That was the closest I could get them because of how I routed the brake lines, poor planing on my part that will be fixed soon.

Back