• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checking grounds and connections....

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy with a 91 XJ 4.0 and he has been having some issues with the Jeep shutting off while driving. He said that it does start back up right after every time. So we have come to the conclusion that he needs to check all of his grounds and connections. However, neither of us have had to touch anything electrical on our Jeeps and don't know where to begin...Any advice?

Hallo. Start with the main grounds.
Make a ground wire from the battery to the chassis.
click for 3 pics.

Check the ground wire/strap from the engine block to the firewall or install a new one.
Check the ground wire from the battery to the dipstick/engineblock.

There are many grounds to the chassis, not only in the engine bay but also under the dash.

click on diagram for more info.

And... the CPS connector in the middle of the pic. Clean that bastard.

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Also, you should have two wires coming off of the positive battery terminal clamp - a largish one that runs down to the starter motor, and a smaller one that runs to the PDC.

I had a similar problem on my 87 once upon a time - the smaller distro lead (runs to the starter motor relay screwpost on RENIX) was corroding through and made intermittent contact. Wiggling that wire while the engine was running would cause it to stall or die out entirely. This explains how I got started making battery cables - I didn't like the OEM, damn sure didn't like how they weren't sealed against vapour intrusion (that's what caused the problem) and though I could do better than OEM or aftermarket, from what I'd seen.

So far, I seem to have been correct.

Back