• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shipping an XJ to Europe

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Seeing that Sonia and I are cruising the Greek Isles right now we got the hairbrained scheme to ship our stock 97 XJ Europe and use it to tour from say England down to Greece for a few months.

What would it cost to ship an XJ over?

Do any of you know of any restrictions on being able to due so?

Feasablity of selling it in Europe when we are done?

Shipping it over here wouldn't be difficult and I estimate it'd cost approx $1500. There are lots of shipping companies that ship cars across the atlantic. Driving it in Europe on US plates may be a little more problematic but possible as a temporary import, I think. There are certainly a few cars on US plates driving around. You may need to find an agreeable insurance company though to insure it on European roads.

To get it registered in Europe (in the UK certainly) you would need to pay an import tax and get the car certified for use in this country which involves changing the headlights and installing rear fog lights and maybe a few other things. You would need to do this if you planned to sell it here.

I don't think it'd be worth selling it in Europe as values of XJs here seem lower than in the US. A US spec vehicle would be worth even less.

Good luck!

if the above is true, why not source an XJ over there... and look into bringing it back when your done.

Driving on your plates wont be a problem. I have had Washington state plates on my XJ for years.
I doubt you would be able to sell it though. I tried it and the only guy interested wanted to convert it to CNG. The taxes on his end of the purchase killed the deal.
On the other hand you could find a diesel XJ over here. Bringing it home is next to impossible unless it was 20 years old. IIRC

Actually you could bring a diesel XJ back to the states, and would have no issues selling it back stateside either, but until it was 20 years old you wouldn't be able to register it.... You could bring it back as a "trail only" vehicle... I had a friend of mine bring back a Liberty and a XJ that were both diesel Euro specs, and had no issues once he let them know he was bringing them back for trail only use, and that he was using the Liberty as a display for his shop.... but shipping yours there would run you roughly $1500 or a bit more depending on the shipping company you went through... I would def. say you would be cheaper and better of just purchasing a XJ there for your tour, and if you decided to bring it back stateside then so be it, or sell it off again there...

Try www.magnum.no it a serious Freight company . Have a lot of experience with car transport from US...but than to Norway. Takes 6 weeks approx. Have used it for larger or heavy parts for my XJ.

....and why not start your journey from Norway?...drive from pick up location(Oslo) to the west cost(Bergen) - take the ferry to UK, than...wherever you like in Europe after UK is finished.

You will guarantee love it.....welcome :)

Last edited:
Back