• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Problems

RSchurig356

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a brand new water pump put on the XJ about a year and a half ago, and I already need a new one. I have only put on about 15,000 miles since that time.

My question is why did this part fail so quickly and what should be done to make sure it doesn't happen again? Secondly, does anybody have any suggestions on which kind of pump to put on as the replacement? Should I go with a higher end model, or whatever O'Reilly's has in stock. I was looking also at this one-
http://www.quadratec.com/products/71212_100.htm

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't just go with whatever O'Rielly's has instock (my .02) I'm speaking from some experience here- bought a tie-rod like that for my old ford and had to warranty it twice. Now I just go by the Tommy Boy philosophy of a warranty coming along with a box of poop. I don't really know what brand you should go with but if you do try that quadratec one out- I'd like to know how it holds up.

It is kinda of hard to say why it failed, I have had new parts fail. As far as which one to buy,I got stranded with my son once,not due to a water pump,but a dumb mistake.
I now carry a spare of everything.
If it was up to me I would buy two pumps and carry a spare,that way I know If it goes out,I can change it.

I put an OEM pump in mine 5 years ago and I replaced it with a NEW, not rebuilt one from O'reilly's recently because I thought it was the cause of my chirping. The engine now runs over 210 occasionally where as before it would NEVER even hit 210 or above. I will be swapping it back out very soon.

I like the looks of the Quadratech one, but unless you have a higher than stock horsepower engine, I would just go with the OEM one.

cause of premature failure could be your belt being too tight.

other than that, can't help ya much, I always try to buy new when its time to replace parts like that.

You bought junk in a box, probably made in a sweat shop! Get Hesco...... next question!!

In the late 80's and through 95 I worked for a company that manufactured the machines that Ford used in the assembly plants to assemble the altenators and water pumps.

The last stage of each machine had an automated test station, parts that passed on the first pass went in to new vehicle productions on the line, parts that failed the automated tests were kicked out and manually retested, if they passed a second automated test or a human test (some times both some times one or the other) they were boxed and shipped off as Motorcraft original parts to dealers and NAPA.

So this process may still be going on, OEM factory made first test rejects may still be being boxed and sold as new.....

You just may have gotten a dog pump that barley passed the second round test and was cost effective to box than throw away.

Back