• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock crawling RC

juniorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i seen a thread in the for sale section involving the sale of an RC rock crawler. it looked like it could produce some good chatter.

so here we are. lets see how many of us play with these things and show them off a little.

mine, an axial AX10 scorpion, wich i reacently purchased around a month ago as an ARTR and threw some electronics at it and started playing.

a little messaging on the bronco body
DSC_0219.jpg

great articulation
DSC_0224.jpg

new KM2s
DSC_0228.jpg

under the hood
DSC_0244.jpg

tried a little something different with the suspention
DSC_0247.jpg

lets go wheelin!
DSC_0251.jpg

these things are so friggin cool.

Lucky!

I've been looking into these recently, and thought about trying to pick one up. I think it would be fun to have in the Jeep while on the trail, and then play around with it during the traffic jams. I'm at a stand still with my rig right now, I need a distraction. :D

Where did you get yours from?

picked it up at xtream toys in the clack. town center. your best bet would be at hobby town there in vancouver. i know the manager there, his name is randy. he would be a good place to start. i have yet to take it in the woods but i have played with it a little at meldrum bar park. does real good.

I've been in to RC from age 5 - I'm turning 35 in a few days. It's been my main hobby, primarily racing. I picked up an AX10 kit the day they hit the shelves - had fun running it around the house for a few months, then sold it. I bought another one last year when I realized that I should've given it more of a chance. Problem is, I race because I like competition and the social aspect. I don't think I could pay any of my racing buddies to get in to RC crawling - they just don't understand the appeal. I still haven't gone out to a competition, but I've run a few courses and had some fun.
I'm probably going to keep my AX10 as a "basher", and pick up the new Losi Comp Crawler when I decide it's time to compete.
The Axial in it's current form:

Misc008-1.jpg

I actually run it without the rack in the rocks - managed to damage the rack slightly within the first 30 seconds I drove it.

Misc015-4.jpg

In it's previous form:

Misc017-1.jpg

My former Axial with a hacked S10 body:

scorpion009.jpg

I chilled out on the more hardcore side of racing a few years ago, started racing Slash Spec at the local track. This has turned in to the largest single racing class at many tracks around the country, much of which has to do with the realistic appearance and handling of the trucks. Traxxas released the Slash, and now several other manufacturers have entered the game, so we'll now have Spec and Mod classes.
My Slash:

misc008.jpg

And I recently bought an Associated SC10 to run in the mod class. Don't have any of my own pics yet, but here's a link to the manufacturers page:

http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=7027

The Short Course class is a great way to get in to racing, and frankly, a great place to stay. They're realistic, the full bodies (as opposed to open wheel buggies and trucks) allow more rubbing without tangling and protect the suspension components from damage. The Slash is built like a tank and can do double-duty as a basher - the others are more track-oriented. They're inexpensive - the Slash can be had for under $200 and includes everything you need except the batteries and charger. The SC10 RTR is around $260 RTR. Compare that to a full race setup in another class, like 2wd buggy, you could easily top a grand for a basic competetive setup.
Man. getting me started talking about RC is a bad idea, lol...

lol This is funny I'm looking at one on ebay. Think I'm going to try to get it, oh my poor wife now here goes another money pit hobby. As if I didn't have enough of them now.

Big Dog, if you're looking at 1 on ebay you should check out the 1 for sale in our for sale/wanted NW sect. Nice looking chassis, 3 chan radio, good tires, rooster esc... You can put a lot of $ into a new one without noticing. I will caution the rest of you guys, this is a very addicting hobby! There is a local group, (warcrc.org) that holds competitions, cash crawls, ect. my .02

Big Dog, if you're looking at 1 on ebay you should check out the 1 for sale in our for sale/wanted NW sect. Nice looking chassis, 3 chan radio, good tires, rooster esc... You can put a lot of $ into a new one without noticing. I will caution the rest of you guys, this is a very addicting hobby! There is a local group, (warcrc.org) that holds competitions, cash crawls, ect. my .02

Thanks, yes mine there is still for sale.

Here is my new R/C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvF9TfcLon4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZsI--vlvpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hPocxCF1E

We've got one of the most active clubs in the nation here in Oregon - www.orcrc.com
. They hold comps often, and the "get-togethers" happen in much the same way they happen on NAXJA. "I'm thinking about heading up to TSF - anyone interested?".
There are actually a number of full scale competitors that are now heavily involved in the scale stuff - some have even said it's helped their 1:1 game, since it allows you to try out new lines and experiment when they're unable to make it out to the boonies.
I'm game if you guys ever decided to hook up for an RC "trail run". In fact, I've had mine in the back of the XJ on a couple of the NAXJA runs I've participated in. Just never broke it out.
I will eventually get my hands on one of these bodies - but at $200, I'm hoping Proline releases an officially licensed lexan version for $30 before I pull the trigger:

http://www.scaleoffroad.de/

That's what I was told by a reliable source about two years ago. I think the delay stems more from working out licensing than from actually tooling and production.

That's what I was told by a reliable source about two years ago. I think the delay stems more from working out licensing than from actually tooling and production.

I think the guy that's gonna make 'em is less worried about the licensing issue. Not sure what the last one was, but he knocked out a couple hundred of 'em before he was "asked" to stop producing them. LOL

I hope the one you're talking about looks good - there was a dude that was trying to sell one that looked like it was carved from a brick of Velveta cheese that'd been left in the sun too long. I'll spring for the German one eventually, but it won't seen any use on the rocks - it's just too expensive.

have any of you guys had the drivelines twist apart on your ax-10's

It's an eventuality with the stock drivelines. I installed the MIP steel drivelines front and rear almost immediately after buying the second AX10, they're not going to break before something else in the axle or transmission goes. That said, the stockers are a great fusable link - they're easier to fix or replace than having to crack your axle housings or transmission open. If you're constantly twisting the stock shafts, a change in driving style may be in order. I drive my rig much the same way I drive my XJ - slow and easy, actually trying to preserve my parts. I pick my lines as best I can, and if things start to bind, I back off. I think the newer kits, possibly the newer RTR's come with aluminum yoke rings to keep the universals from popping apart.

im down for an rc run. real rig isnt wheelin ready yet but the little one is.

Back