• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disco's causing problems?

northernxj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently talked to a local that has experience with jeeps and wheeling. He said that he had experienced significant problems in the front end, joints specifically after wheeling without his front sway bar disconnected. Is this something that many have experienced or is this just from wheeling hard period? Any advice is appreciated. I have an 01 xj and am doing a DPG 2'' OME setup which comes with the disco's, I am going to get an adj. trackbar also.
Thanks

i dont see how running disconnected would cause a lot of damage. yes you get more flex which creates more stress than street driving or running connected but i dont see it being a problem.

The stock Jeeps have the swaybar on all the time, and works fine. I don't see how that would be any different if you left your quick disconnects connected.

However, I think running disconnected makes the stress less on the various parts in extreme situations.

Think about it. With the sway bar connected, and driving in some serious sh*t off road where the wheels come off the ground, the wheels that remain on the ground are forced to support much more weight.

With the sway bar disconnected, you can keep the wheels on the ground a lot better therefore reducing stress, and strains at any wheel.

1996cc said:
Trying understand double negatives sucks. I don't want to type something that you don't understand. :)

I was trying to find who you were ripping on..... me. I meant to say wheeling with them disconnected. I am sorry for the mix up, I need to preview before I post. So has anyone had an issue with more damage done to the front end WITH their front sway bar disconnected rather than connected. I know that there might be more damage due to the harder wheeling. Does the fact that the front is disconnected contribute to more wear and tear. Is it okay to use my disconnects with a 2'' lift on a DD? This guy says to use them for the extension but to leave them connected when I wheel. What's up guys?
Thanks, and thank you 1996cc

I'm not authority on it, but it will allow things to move beyond angles that it would normally, so that could cause some more where. Could you really quantify and notice the difference, I doubt it. Sorry for the hard time, that's just one of my pet peeves because I always get confused :)

Back