• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear - Saturday, August 8

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A couple of the guys and I are gonna be up at Rick's cabin on August 7-9. If anybody wants to go wheeling on that Saturday, let me know.

Since I've been to Big Bear twice in the past couple of weeks, I want to run something different. I was thinking Horsethief Flat and Sidewinder Trail.

I know where Horsethief Flat is, but I can't find an exact location for Sidewinder. Anybody know? This is the only description I've found through searching.

Sidewinder Trail
Sidewinder is a VERY difficult trail in the canyons east of Big Bear. It winds through a sandy canyon bottom, with many difficult rockcrawling obstacles. Minimum vehicle REQUIREMENTS are 35" tires, two lockers, recovery gear and an experienced driver. A winch is recommended.

And here's Horsethief Flat.

Horsethief Flat
This trail begins east of Baldwin Lake off Hwy 18. The trail down into Horsethief Flat is rocky and challenging. And the views are breathtaking. Spend some time exploring Horsethief Flat, where rustlers hid out far from the long arm of the law. Next is the technical climb back up out of Horsethief Flat, which is perhaps the most challenging section of this run. This trail descends to a lower elevation than most of the Big Bear Trails and can be warmer than the surrounding area, so a good cooling system is a must. Minimum vehicle recommendations are 33" tires and at least one locker.

sounds like some fun trails but ill be at the beach camping maybe next time.

dammit johnny! i was gonna be in gorman but i dunno. seem like i may not be equipped to run sidewinder what with only having 33's.
was also considering running deep creek on sunday and then john Bull afterwards.

whadday think? can my rig do both of those trails you mentioned? you seen me drive and my rig so let me know.

Julio

I don't know...I haven't run either trail myself. :) And I can't seem to find Sidewinder. So it may be a moot point.

Horsethief Flat is rated a "difficult" trail, but it's not more difficult than John Bull or Holcomb Creek.

We may try Rattlesnake Canyon and Tip Top Mountain, but those are both "moderate" trails.

What gears do you have in the front? If you can get the parts we'll work something out on labor cuz I owe you one.

got 4.56 in the front and just tossed in a d44 with 3.55 in the rear. Unfortunately, in addition to the budget crunch causing furloughs, I just sunk over a grand into dental work in the last three months. =(

So, while I VERY much appreciate the offer, the rig is gonna just have to be a paperweight for a bit. =)

I'd be there with you, but heading to Pismo for a week.
Have fun!

Looks like we'll run out to Heartbreak Ridge, Rattlesnake Canyon, Tip Top Mountain, then over to Horsethief Flats.

We'll probably leave about 9 am from Rick's cabin in Sugarloaf.

Looks like we'll run out to Heartbreak Ridge, Rattlesnake Canyon, Tip Top Mountain, then over to Horsethief Flats.

We'll probably leave about 9 am from Rick's cabin in Sugarloaf.

IM debating on whether to join you guys or go to Gorman. I cant decide!

Well, we're just basically going exploring. We really don't know where we're going. I'm trying to set my GPS with some coordinates, so that we don't get totally lost.

You're more than welcome to join us though.

I might join you jonny. might.

Well gorman is only 75 miles from my house as apposed to BB which is over 100 miles... :p

ill figure it out. Where exactly is ricks cabin and is there room for a little guy like me? i though about tkaing my dog aout with me this time.

Back