• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UNBELIEVABLE SEAT BRACKETS

MYRZ98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
It all started driving my 98 xj down the road when POP goes the drivers seat,got home to look it over,pulled seat out and couldnt believe the carnage,weld broke ,bolts ripped out,I'm a trim 200 lbs,guess that was enuf,called chrysler cust service to see if any recalls on this cheaply built seat design,he says NOPE.never had ANY problems that he knew of,then search forums and no suprise its all over how much these break,makes me feel good hauling my kids around in it,they ride in back hope that seat holds up! Anyway going to weld it back ,called local junk yards and you guessed it,all xj drivers seats gone,wonder why,anybody have the wet okole seats,wondered about ease of installation,comfort etc?

Wet Okole makes seat covers, not seats. They are just a neoprene skin that covers the stock seat.

And this is actually the first time I've heard of the seat brackets breaking. Not saying it hasn't happened, just that it doesn't happen every day.
Neither of my '99's have done it.

Wet Okole makes seat covers, not seats. They are just a neoprene skin that covers the stock seat.

And this is actually the first time I've heard of the seat brackets breaking. Not saying it hasn't happened, just that it doesn't happen every day.
Neither of my '99's have done it.
Same thing happened to my 96
Met several guys / broken seats......96 to 99:gee:

It is a very common issue with the 97+. More so if you're a person of great magnitude.

Interesting, this is honestly the first time I've ever heard of this happening.

I have a similar problem. Just wondering is it possible to fix the Cherokee seat instead of swapping in Grand Cherokee seats. My drivers seat makes a popping/clunking sound when I stop or accelerate, and you can feel the seat move slightly. I have looked for something loose but it is very hard to get under there. This is very annoying and I really hope it doesn't break. I like the look of the original seats and would rather not swap. By the way its a 2000 classic with a power seat and only 72,000 miles

My driver's seat frame gave way a while back- where the tube is welded to the 'bracket' at the left front. Drilled a couple of holes and bolted it together. I've read a few different threads on various forums where people had the same issue. If you can find them, ZJ buckets (I believe WJ buckets are also bolt in, or very nearly so) are a nice upgrade. Also gives you time to leisurely repair your broken seats and do something with the foam cushion, wash the covers, clean the coffee stains on the carpet, etc.

wow...this is the first I've heard of this. I have a '00 and I'm 220+...no problem in the last 4 years since I've owned it...knock on wood...

Everything broken I have see or heard of has involved lifted XJs....what I think is when you get in you push back to straighten yourself in the seat....adding stress backward. Just a theory, but I know thats what I do.
Skinny little guys don't seem to get broken seats :jester:

I couldnt see anything either just looking under seat,its when I pulled her out the damage showed itself,yes the tube weld left front broke ,guessing followed by the thin metal pulling the front bolt thru bracket,anyway,gonna weld ,gusset etc,go from there. I'm eating an apple right now to lose some weight.

mine broke into 3 pieces. i welded mine right up and it's worked fine thus far. Just be sure to keep the temp down on the welder cuz it burns through the puny metal very easily

same issue here. never a problem with my renix, but the '96 has busted the driver side twice-but only while wheeling. of course, i'm 6'2" and 200+. i discovered that if i flipped the back seat up/forward, it reinforces the back of the driver's seat and keeps it from moving around/breaking. since i started wheeling it that way, i haven't broken another seat bracket.

Back