• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Advice

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my friend Sam gave me a wicked good idea.

Im gonna get the 8.8 Axle and then some wheel spacers.. I can get a 95+ Axle for 200 bucks at my local junkyard.

My friend is a welder, so we can do the perches. While im doing the perches, I will angle it up so I dont ned shims for the SYE im installing.

Anyways, I am going to try and get one with 4:10 gears, then I will grab a Dana 30 from a 4Cylinder XJ with the 4:10 gears...

Then I will install a 1.5" Spacer and 1.5" Shackle in there while im installing the new axles.

Question is...

Will the front driveshaft work as a rear with the SYE on the 8.8 when I get the flange adapter so I can mount it normally?

Can 4:10's work with 33-34's?

Yeah I know, im going to use the end of the rear exploded driveshaft.. But im going to just get it when I grab the rear end...

How sluggish will 4:10's be with 33's?

I dont think it will be bad at all..

4.10 and 33's is a bit sluggish. You can do it for a while, but keep regearing 4.56/4.88 into the long term gameplan.

My goal is 34's... SO, I will most likely just get the 3.55 rear end at the junkyard and then grab 4:88's for the D30 I have, and the 8.8 and then have the gears installed like a week after I get the tires...

cal said:
4.10 and 33's is a bit sluggish. You can do it for a while, but keep regearing 4.56/4.88 into the long term gameplan.

well i got 3.07s and 33's and really dont have any problems.

I have 31's on 3.55 and I move along nicely. granted I have all new intake and exhuast on my 97, and its an auto...
I have 4.10's waiting to go in, which will definitely put some pep in my step with the 31's, and I would like to goto 33's either just for this winter (can get 33's for free, kinda) or when I get my next set of tires either way.
I don't mind the 31's with 3.55 which I guess would be like the 33's on 4.10... but I do mostly highway driving too.

Gearing is up to the person, and perosnal preference on what they use thier Cherokee for. Its just added stress on the clutch and auto trans with taller tires with stock gears. Also a small decrease in gas mileage when going to a bigger tire with stock gears, meaning you have to use the skinny pedal more to get moving, and more load on the motor doing so. Dont be afraid to run the 4.0 at 2500+ rpm's on the freeway either. Go with at least 4.56 gears with 33's, IMHO. I run them with a stick and 31's, and wish I had deeper gears, or an auto. This thread is very good to go off of. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46901&highlight=gearing, like previously stated. My .02.

you should definately get the 8.8 with disks. I got my 8.8 with all the disk brake parts on it for $180.

TheArsonist21 said:
You have a manual though right?

I dont know, some people are telling me 33's on 4.10's are fine..

Speaking from experience, with a MANUAL, 33s and 4.10s are doggy. With the Auto it is not bad.

Erik

Im just going to get one with 3.55's and run it with an SYE for now.

Around christmas I will be regearing front and back to 4.56's

And installing the 34X12.50's im getting.

Jonnyjpr said:
well i got 3.07s and 33's and really dont have any problems.
Yes you do. I ran 31s on 3.07s for six months, and it sucked. Now I've got those same 31s and 3.55s, and it still sucks. I don't know how you can drive that thing and not think that. Do you only drive downhill?

I've got a 4:1 t-case to put in, and I still don't know if that will give me enough gearing for real rocks.

Mambeu said:
Yes you do. I ran 31s on 3.07s for six months, and it sucked. Now I've got those same 31s and 3.55s, and it still sucks. I don't know how you can drive that thing and not think that. Do you only drive downhill?

I've got a 4:1 t-case to put in, and I still don't know if that will give me enough gearing for real rocks.

Maybe you have an engine power problem. I'm also running 31's on 3.55 gears and have NO problems getting to speed, holding speed on the highway, and getting decent mileage (when I'm not trying to cruise between 70-80). It even stayed in overdrive on all but the steepest inclines while towing a loaded trailer (1500-2000lbs maybe?).

Saying "yes you do" sounds a bit arrogant.

bobnoxious said:
Maybe you have an engine power problem. I'm also running 31's on 3.55 gears and have NO problems getting to speed, holding speed on the highway, and getting decent mileage (when I'm not trying to cruise between 70-80).
My 4.0 is an inch from death, and I know that that's a part of why my Jeep is so sluggish, but I still don't see how 3.07s with 33s is liveable. Maybe it did come off as a little arrogant, and if so I apologize, but I just don't see how that combination of tires and gearing is bearable (unless they're behind a V8 or something).

Well, it depends on the tranny and how you drive it. I've got 35s with 3.55s and an Auto. To get in the RPM range that the engine likes, I drive it in 3rd instead of Overdrive. Holds speed on all but the steepest hills, the ones with the slow lane for trucks, so you know they are long and steep.

TheArsonist21 said:
Is there anything other than a HD tie rod, and Steering box braces on both sides that I would need to run 35's?

Hydro-assist would be a big plus.

Back