• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Wire Shorting Out

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My Jeep is having a problem with its NSS/ wiring harness that goes to the NSS.

I am on my second NSS as I fried the first one. Replaced it with another, and it just caught on fire again. The wires that go from the connection on the passenger side of the engine compartment have fried on both of them. Both times the two black wires that are for the NSS get hot and melt.

I tried the NSS bypass method that has been written about a lot, and only thing that did is made the wires get red hot and start a fire.

It cranks over, I can hear the fuel pump priming and it ran less then a week ago. Same thing happened the time before I replaced the NSS, and I would just replace it again, but I would rather not do that knowing it will fry again in a couple weeks. The first time it would crank and not start as well.

Thoughts?

89 4.0 with the AW4

Well, got it started.....

Traced one of the wires to the coil pack. Figure the Jeep doesnt get spark unless the NSS says the Jeep is in park and neutral? Not sure where the other one goes, maybe the ignition switch.

However, we got it started by taking the two black wires that everyone says to connect, and pulling them apart and not having them touch. How that works, we have no idea. *$#!@ Renix engines....

Back