• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ booster problems...why do my brakes poop out?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I'll start with some background. Awhile ago (5 months ago) I did a WJ booster swap from a 2001 WJ, I replaced my old Bendix ABS with this. I also did an 8.8 with disc swap as well as a ZJ prop valve. Fast forward some my brake were never great, and I'd loose fluid over time, so I'd bleed and everything would be fantastic and never had much of a problem. At NWFest my brakes went out three times and I had to bleed it each time (then it would work fantastic) and the final time we bled the master cylinder (again worked great). During that time I continued to loose fluid at the prop valve, I finally figured out what fitting it was and re-flared it, then re-bled once I got home. Brakes worked very well for a month.

Fast forward to today, recently my brakes would go to the floor (but still slow down, not really STOP) after start-up, but once I had the engine running for a few seconds the pedal would get firm and brakes would be fine. Yesterday the pedal began giving a "gear changing" type feel, where it would go down in notches so to speak (think changing gears on a bike and the slight delay each time, that's what pushing on the pedal was like...a clunk clunk clunk till it hit the floor). In addition to that it would pull to the right when braking badly enough where I would have to counter-steer. Now my brakes will be firm for a second then go to the floor, and just as I was pulling in my driveway after work they went to the floor and I did not STOP but slowed down (luckily I did stop as I engaged my brake extra early and went slow).

With all that said, I checked my fluid for it being low (as normally it would be OBVIOUSLY low for these problems) and it looks fine, ALMOST at "max" level when I normally go to it, so it's acceptable. I don't THINK it's a leak, but I could be wrong. When I bled my brakes last a few weeks ago I checked my pads, all of them looked pretty good/almost new and I've had no signs of squeal or pad being worn.

What am I missing, what could be wrong? Since I've not lost any fluid, it's pulling, and it has to "build up" pressure, it made me think maybe my master cylinder is bad? But I don't know, give me ideas.

~Scott

P.S. My driver front was making a clicking sound for the last couples weeks, I checked it last week but my brakes we ok and I couldn't recreate the sound so I thought nothing, maybe I'm wrong? Doesn't seem to make the sound now. And would a free Les Schwab brake check find anything I can't?

If it's Free, it wouldn't hurt. Maybe they will spot something you have missed and that would be a good thing IMHO. In the least they would check out your work and if something is wrong, since you are a guy, more than likely they will discuss it with you in more detail. You could thank them for the quote or have them fix it on the spot.

I suppose it's my best bet to try... however last time I went in they turned me down because my rig was "dangerous". And that was because I had mix matched shocks on either side, stock control arms on a 4" lift, and bad tierod bushings. Luckily it's in better shape now.

~Scott

Back