• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im buying this bumper and had some questions

Kiefer316

NAXJA Forum User
DannysPics003.jpg

Alright. Would it be safe to pull from this thing with just that one bolt that leads to the hitch mounts? I was thinking of cutting them off and making it a couple more bolts farther back. Also does anyone know what kind of bumper it is?

Thats all i needed to know. I won't be towing anything with it maybe some light pulls but thats it. Ill see what some other people have to say before i make my decision.

I would say no.
All that is is stock location, with 1 extra bolt per side. I would rather have more tie in than that, and that 1 bolt per side doesn't look all that beefy. What thickness is it, and how is is attached?

Well i wont be able to pick it up for a couple weeks, as the guy im buying it from is going out of state tomorrow. My plan is to cut it off and get some 3/16ths plate, drill holes for more bolts and weld it to the bottom of the bumper.

Well i wont be able to pick it up for a couple weeks, as the guy im buying it from is going out of state tomorrow. My plan is to cut it off and get some 3/16ths plate, drill holes for more bolts and weld it to the bottom of the bumper.

If your going to add to it go big. add some 1/4 inch. I still think you could use it for recovery. My Brother just picked up a JRC bumber and it has the same type of setup just one more bolt on each side to the hitch mounting bolts.

Sounds good. All i would need is a small maybe 8 inch by 12 inch sheet. I think ill have to see if anyone has any that i could buy or have. I just want it to be a good tow point just in case.

you wont really need that, just two thin pieces going back where the two tabs are now. something like 2 inch by 8 inch 1/4 thick and a good way to integrate it to the bottom of the bumper.

your pretty safe with that setup. 8 bolts on the back plates and two to the hitch mounts. Pretty strong setup although extra wouldnt hurt.

Are you nuts?It would tear thru that on a "minor" pull.You should have all the "factory" mounting points used at a minimum(18 total).

So would about 14 bolts be good? Anyone have anyother ways to mount it too? I have seen alot of different ways to mount bumpers.

DO NOT USE THAT TO TOW WITH!!
or atleast warn people when you do, so they can stay off the roads.

those 8 holes are to keep the bumper on, not much strength really. you would be putting the majority of the pulling force on 8 bolts depending what grade you use, and 8 nutserts attached to 2 layers of sheet metal.

go into the 'frame rails' with some flat stock/angle iron/2x3... something that sandwiches the frame. that way instead of trying to pull bolts apart, your using the friction of the frame-vs-flatstock...

and I would say thats a custom bumper.homemade.

Do you get what im trying to get at. I know those 8 bolts will not be able to pull anything. So im going to cut the one bolt hole off and weld a plate of steel to the bumper to reinforce it for a tow point. So i would say all the holes i can use to mount it i will. Im going to try and make it as strong as a hitch would be to pull from. I don't plan on towing anything with it. It will just be a tow point.

Wow..lots of panic. The bumper looks like a Tomkin to me. Rated as Class III, unless I'm mistaken. I have a Tomkin rear...made with 3/8" material. Even with the "eight bolts", I've jerked it hard...towed with it...etc. without problems.

Might not be the best...toughest...but so far, good enough for my outfit. Am I wrong to trust Tomkin?

Do some tie in to the factory nut strip location. My JCR uses all of the factory mounts plus the hitch nut strips.

Isn't that the one sitting in Dan's garage? I thought I remembered you calling it a POS lol

Wow..lots of panic. The bumper looks like a Tomkin to me. Rated as Class III, unless I'm mistaken. I have a Tomkin rear...made with 3/8" material. Even with the "eight bolts", I've jerked it hard...towed with it...etc. without problems.

Might not be the best...toughest...but so far, good enough for my outfit. Am I wrong to trust Tomkin?

If they rate it at as a III, no I wouldn't trust Tomkin. They've never been known as a high quality manufacturer, more on par with Rusty's. This is what a Class III mounting system looks like on an XJ

87591_o.jpg

here's an example of why you don't want to use that bumper (unmodified) to pull with... (watch a few seconds, then skip 3/4 way thru and watch till end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTyp4Jc9ow&NR=1

check out the mounting of that bumper... looks good, until its too late.

Back