• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, I have an electrical gremlin in my headlights

weirdal_like

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ limited and am having trouble tracking down whats causing my headlight problem.

What is happening is my headlights are draining my battery. When I turn the key on and the daytime running lights come on, instead of them coming on at reduced power on the highbeams like they are supposed to they are coming on full strength on low beams. The high/low beam switches fine and all the other lights work fine. If I push the headlight switch in and turn the key off the headlights will some/most times stay on in the low beam position. If I try to drive the jeep at night with the headlights turned on and whenever I press the brakes or do something else that puts a load against the elecrical system the jeep stalls. Not every time, but most times. I have replaced the headlight switch in the dash, no changes.
While the jeep is sitting at home I am unhooking the battery so that it doesnt drain the battery while sitting. I hooked the battery up the other day and the daytime running light module under the steering column started buzzing like crazy so I assumed it was that module that had gone bad and was causing my troubles so I pulled the connector from the module and it hasnt helped. I took the module to the dealership to confirm that it was the daytime running light module and whne they looked it up they found there are no new ones available anywhere in north america, they have been back ordered for ever.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing all of this? or any help on how to track down what is going on?
I HAVE to have this fixed in the next 2 weeks as I am leaving on aug 10th to trail guide at the biggest offroad event of the year in ontario.
I would be eteranally grateful to anyone that can help me chase this f**king gremlin out of my jeep:gee:

90's have DRL? Mine doesn't.
Lives up north.....

I have no hard and fast solutions but I would start by cleaning the connectors at the headlights, and the 3 tabs on each headlight with a emery board or some such. Bad grounds do strange things.

Back