• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 xj

rebelrat

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj 4.0 30/35 i have a vib from the front that turns into a shake at 55 to 60 and continues up to 75.

it is not tires or rims
new brakes
tie rod
track bar
and idler arms are nw

any help would be great
i got a lift and such for it but want to solve the vibs first

thanks tj

Someone is going to come in here and tell you it is the tires, and I would tend to believe them. Have you had the tires checked at more than one shop? There are a lot of people out there who just cannot balance a tire properly. Out of balance tires, or a busted belt in a tire, which will make it out-of-balance, will cause the problems.

how about the driveshaft?

Could also be your axle bearings in the d30, they usually go bad with bigger tires. Switch your front tires with the back ones and see if that does it. Or wiggle the tires back and forth to see if there is any play in the bearings.

Most anytime you get a 60 MPH vibration plus or minus 5 MPH it's the tire balance.
Front U-joint can vibrate if it's going out, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
Overtorqued (or unequally torqued) lugs can cause a vibration, usually accompanied by that warped rotor feel when you apply the brakes.
I clean the rust from behind the front brake rotors (nd the drums) and put a light coat of grease on the hub where the rotors seat. Just as a why not kind of preventative measure.
I've picked up a balance vibration often when rotating my tires, they seem to wear into whichever axle they are on and swithcing the axle changes the balance.
I'm the only competant tire balancer I know. I take the extra time to break the tire off the rim, twist it and try it again if the wieght gets too high. I always spread my wieghts inside and outside the rim equally and use the smallest amount of wieght as possible. I even clean most of the thick junk off the inside of the rim before the balance.
It's real easy to toss a wieght, especially on the stock alloy Jeep rims, standard steel wheel type wieghts don't seat very well. Glue ons, are usually iffy anyway.
I once went nuts trying to balalnce a tire, finally figured out it was just one axle (right rear) and then discovered some bone head at the factory had put one retaining clip on a stud behind the drum. if the drums or rotors aren't sitting pretty close to flat, it will vibrate just like a balance problem often.

Driveshaft u-joints?

Ball Joints?

Raise the axle up and grasp the tire on the top and bottom and try to rock it. If it has ANY play at all even 1/32nd of an inch, it is either your ball joints or your axle bearings that are loose.

If your tires aren't loose try having them balanced. If you go to a reputable shop like Les Schwab or Sears. They have lifetime balance and rotation. So you hit a curb, take it back. You rub a wheel weight off when wheeling? Take it back.

rebelrat said:
i have an 89 xj 4.0 30/35 i have a vib from the front that turns into a shake at 55 to 60 and continues up to 75.

it is not tires or rims
new brakes
tie rod
track bar
and idler arms are nw

any help would be great
i got a lift and such for it but want to solve the vibs first

thanks tj
This happened with my 89 xj and upon my safety inspection it was found that the left front axle was going. Not an easy job, I left it to the mechanics!

I am having the same problem with mine right now. But mine is between 45 and 55 mph. And it is all in the tires. The tires shop told me that anyway. I can't afford to replace them so I just live with it.

Back