• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backlash adjustment on a ChryCo 8.25

Dann

NAXJA Forum User
Does the 8.25 diff use shims, or the adjuster nuts like a 9.25. If it uses the adjuster nuts, where can I pick-up an adjuster tool, or does anyone have any idea on how to fab one? TIA, Dann

Dann said:
Does the 8.25 diff use shims, or the adjuster nuts like a 9.25. If it uses the adjuster nuts, where can I pick-up an adjuster tool, or does anyone have any idea on how to fab one? TIA, Dann
It DOES use adjuster nuts, and I've no idea where to get one. I borrowed a set from a friend who's got a gear shop.

Bill,
Damn. I don't have any friends with gear shops. Did you have much trouble installing the new R&P and setting it up? Was it pretty straight forward, or was there anything that held you up. I'll soon be doing mine, and am trying to gather as much intel as possible, as well as scrounge or make the specialty tools.
Thanks, Dann

Dann said:
Bill,
Damn. I don't have any friends with gear shops. Did you have much trouble installing the new R&P and setting it up? Was it pretty straight forward, or was there anything that held you up. I'll soon be doing mine, and am trying to gather as much intel as possible, as well as scrounge or make the specialty tools.
Thanks, Dann
The only thing I did was change the carrier to an Auburn, so I just needed to adjust the backlash. The pinion depth was fine, so I left it alone.
Make sure the threads for the adjusters are CLEAN inside the bearing caps, and tighten the left side last.
Here's a set of directions that I found really helpful...gear install

Have fun!

Back