• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sluggish 2 wheel drive start

fosforito_one

NAXJA Forum User
The jeep; 1999 cherokee classic 3.5" lift, SYE, Cut 9" out back. I have been searching and haven't seen any threads similar to what I have. Im not sure exactly what it is so I dont really know what to look for.

Ok... So periodically I have been having some issues when shifting from park to drive and starting my initial roll out. I will give it some gas and it will move VERY slowly up to around 3000 RPM when it willl start acting normal again. Occasionally it will be accompanied by a single or even a series of pops. The pops sound like binding and slipping metal. Similar to what I imagin a slipping chain in a T-case would sound like.

The part that stumps me is it's in 2WD and the front DS is not in. When I have looked to see if the front DS yoke on the T-case is turning, it doesn't (except for 1/4 to 1 full revolution when initailly put in gear which I have been told is normal).

Whenever it happens the engin sounds normal and the RPM's climb as they should.

When in 4H on the trail there was some poping when the front axle would changed angle but the sound didn't continue through 4L... If it were the chain slippinig wouldn't it happen mostly in 4L not 4H or 2WD?

I guess what I am get at is; Is it possible that the shifting fork make be off a little and cause it to slip between 2WD and 4H? and if not what else could it be? I would like to avoid rebuilding the T-case if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Back