• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ, no start, couple of questions

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, got a cpl of questions still after doing a search thru the FAQs.

I found a deal on and bought a stock 94 XJ country a cpl of weekends ago.

The reason for it being deal was it wont start. Turns over, but no start.
Previous owner I couldnt talk to as he had gotten himself locked up in the pokey for quite a long time. So, im just going by what his girlfriend told me and what was in the truck when I picked it up and the 15 minutes I did some quick checks on it before towbaring it away.

My first thought was easy fix,crank sensor. Found old crank sensor buried in back of jeep so i climbed under hood and verified new crank sensor had been installed.
Also found new plugs had been installed, and a new coil was still in the box uninstalled.

Things I checked...... good hot battery, turns over well. Cap and rotor look good. Checked maxi fuses and relays under hood. With key on I cannot hear fuel pump run like on my other xj.... I can push in schreader valve with key on and all i get is a dribbling squirt. No continous stream ( I have no FP guage to put on it yet).
His girlfriend said he was working on a no firing condition when he got sent away. I havent been able to verify no fire yet. Didnt have anyone there to turn it over while I checked it.

Before I spend $50, do the factory manuals have a good step by step troubleshooting guide in them ?

Anyone know of any good online write ups for troubleshooting the igntion or fuel systems ?

Anything simple Im overlooking?

thanks!

I had same problem on '92 4.0. In my case it was the spark coil. Like you I tried the CPS first but no luck.

First thing I'd do is verify spark. Just connect a spark plut wire to an old plug and hold it firmly to engine. Be sure there's no gas vapors anywhere. Crank. Spark? If yes then you should look at fuel pressure harder. If no then it's electrical.

CPS and spark coil are the easy ones. After this the electrical system gets deep.

If spark then you need to borrow a fuel pressure gauge. If there's fuel pressure (39 pounds?) then it's back to electrical somewhere since I'd guess that at least one injector would work and the engine would at least run a little.

If no fuel pressure then it's the pump or maybe the filter's plugged.

At least determine if it's no spark or no fuel pressure. Post. Maybe someone can help you down the appropriate path.

Mike

Back