• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front JK axles.

Axle is much wider than XJ/TJ. They are 60" where as the JK is 65.5". They often just quote tread width which takes in wheel offset which is much more on a JK than a XJ.

Thats only 2 3/4 " per side. With the proper wheels you can get close to stock axles and wheels with 3 3/4 backspacing which is not exactly uncommon.

With a wider track, using a later model wheel with more offset would be the answer. It's what Detroit has done lately, using 16-18" rims. There are now more off road tires available in those rims sizes than 15", making them easier to find.

The JK pinion is supposedly close to the Dana 60 in size, I'd like to see more back to back comparisons as to which is "stronger," especially with axles sizes and u-joints. Add the fact the JK is high pinion, and few Dana 44's are, IIRC, much less driver side drop. Wiith a stock E-locker, it looks like a bargain for under $500.

Now surfing the brakes for size, another included improvement? . . .

With a wider track, using a later model wheel with more offset would be the answer. It's what Detroit has done lately, using 16-18" rims. There are now more off road tires available in those rims sizes than 15", making them easier to find.

The JK pinion is supposedly close to the Dana 60 in size, I'd like to see more back to back comparisons as to which is "stronger," especially with axles sizes and u-joints. Add the fact the JK is high pinion, and few Dana 44's are, IIRC, much less driver side drop. Wiith a stock E-locker, it looks like a bargain for under $500.

Now surfing the brakes for size, another included improvement? . . .
x2

the only other hp44 driver drop would be the ford d44...

i have also heard that the r&p is larger than the traditional d44

I'd get it either way, if you don't use it I'm sure you could make your money back easily. Plus with it being 5 on 5, you could easily put on adapters in the rear that would also space the rear tires out more anyway, so that would be a win-win I would think.

Just to be sure, are you talking about a jk Rubicon axle for 500, or just a regular front axle out of a jk? It seems that 500 is awful cheap for a jk Dana 44 with the locker.

John

If it is the rubicon axle, the housing is the weakest link to that whole axle assembly.

Back