• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys 4.5"

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to hear what you guys think about the Rustys 4.5" lift. I've read some things about parts wearing out quickly, so for a dd/weekend wheeler thats not really a +, but I'd like to hear what Naxja members have to say about it before I jump to any conclusions.

I have never had a problem with Rusty's parts. I have his 3" AAL kit and it is holding up well after a few years. I ordered the Ubolts and adj. tracbar at the same time. Since then I've installed his motor mounts and gigantic tierod, no problems with any of it. The way my tracbar is bent I can make it hit the diff cover if I try, I've heard that this problem was resolved at some point but I've never seen a new one so IDK.

I have had the kit for 4 years. Only problem is the tracbar. Either find an alternate one or fab one up. Other than that it is a good starter kit

The PO put one on mine some time ago. The left rear spring sits a 1/4-1/2" below the right. The spring rates are not back. I can tell it's a short arm kit though because of the jolts on the front end (this is probably not brand oriented and would be similar with other short arm kits). No problems with the track bar yet.

I have had my 4.5 re aal for 4 years and the only thing i would have changed was get new leaf springs. The aal is sagging so now i have to buy new leaf springs.

I have had the kit for 4 years. Only problem is the tracbar. Either find an alternate one or fab one up. Other than that it is a good starter kit

I also have Rusty's 4.5" BUT , it's on my WJ. It's my DD.

X2 on the Trac Bar. In my opinion, the TB sucks! Everything else is fine so far. I've had it for about 2 years.

Gorman031.jpg

BLAH

I almost bought the rustys 4.5" full leaf pack kit a little while ago.... and I heavily research what I buy.

I have heard of the track bars snapping/failing. Have they redesigned that? I dont know for sure.

I have heard of leaf springs snapping too.

The rest of their products seem pretty solid though.

I had that kit origionally, and like it was said before, the leafs went to a "w" shape, the bushings wore out fast on the control arms, and the trackbar flexed on the road. all of these things contributed to DW quite regularly. but the coils were awesome:guitar:. if i were you i would peice together a decent kit, or get a better one.

i HAD the cRustys 4.5" lift kit with full springs. i have had quite a few issues with it- broke the trackbar 3 times, rear brake line extention was crap, rear shims broke and gave axlewrap, rear spring eye would hit shackle box when flexing and has caused damage to the rear crossmember, shocks were crap, the bushings on the LCAs wore out quite quickly and the leaf spring bushings are shot.

slowly i have been swapping out the kRustys krap. the coils and leaves are the only things left from him. my lift is now his springs, coil spacers, uknown brand lift shackles, TnT Y-link, RK trackbar. im much more happy with this set up now

i run his 4.5" leafs, shackles, shocks, the older lower adj arms on my trail rig. i beat on it and they have held up great! they have been on there for about 2 years now. i however, run the RE trac bar, bracket, and brace.

the lowers have been holding up alot better than i expected. i figure ill run them till they blow then build long arm.

there was just a post about bent leafs.. and both of them complained about the tracbar too.. Rubicon HD trac Bar and bracket ftw.

Back