• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl Hood Wiper Arm Clearance

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Just thought I'd throw this out here. Installed a new Reflexxion cowl hood and when opened all the way it hits the right wiper post/arm. Note the missing wiper arm. Anyone figue a way to prevent this other than surgery on the hood?

SmallFront.jpg

SmallRF.jpg

I don't have one, but i think your options may be to trim the hood some or limit the travel of the hood.

I have a Cowl Induction Scoop, however the rear has a 2" lip that is an inch or more higher than your rear edge of your cowl. I have no problems with my wipers when I lift my hood. The lip clears the wipers and almost touches the windshield. I believe my cowl was designed that way to clear the wipers.

I have been trying to think of a solution for you other than trimming back that edge so it would not hit your wipers. Not an easy solution. It seems when they designed the cowl of your hood they would have taken into account the wipers.

I'm so sorry, I can't think of anything other than trimming the cowl back. Hopefully, someone who runs a cowl hood can have a solution.

On my Thread, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003009 Choo_31 and RoyalXJ have Cowl Hoods. You may wish to PM them to see if they had a similar issue and if they did... what did they do or maybe ask if they have a possible solution.

You may wish to try "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page.

Hope this helps.

I dont have to worry about this with mine being a pin on, but I've seen a lot of people have that problem, not just with Jeeps. I have always mounted and checked clearance on Cowl hoods before I've painted and installed. I think we've always had to do some trimming along the back of the cowl for clearance. My guess would be your only option is to clearance the hood and re-paint it.

Yeah, I knew it coming in that this particular hood had clearance problems w. the right wiper arm. Oh well, it only takes a second or two to pop the wiper arm off if I need to. I'm thinking I may be able to notch it out with a chassis punch to clear the arm, but thought I'd ask y'all first for an easier way out. Thanks.

The solution would be to make your hood open the opposite way, with hinges in the front, and latches in the rear.

But seriously, awesome looking MJ, I love the euro style front blinkers, that are amber rather than clear.

To me it looks as if you need to move the passenger side of the hood forward. Notice the little gap between the hood and header panel. Just a suggestion. I also have to state that is one nice MJ.

your left side wiper looks to be a little higher in park than most. Is it possible that if you replace the wiper bushings (under the cowl) and adjust them to park at the windshield molding, you would gain enough clearance?

To me it looks as if you need to move the passenger side of the hood forward. Notice the little gap between the hood and header panel. Just a suggestion. I also have to state that is one nice MJ.

Good eye Crimzon, and thanks for the good words. :cheers: In my haste, I did not latch the right side of the hood in front completely before I took the pics. I have the shims juggled around now so the hood gap and seam is uniform all around.

your left side wiper looks to be a little higher in park than most. Is it possible that if you replace the wiper bushings (under the cowl) and adjust them to park at the windshield molding, you would gain enough clearance?

Yes, the left arm is mounted one notch higher than normal so I get full sweep w/o hitting the windshield molding. All the wiper linkage bushings are new. The hood clears the right post fine w/o the arm mounted, but w. the right arm mounted, the hood cowl starts hitting the right arm cap just after going past the lower hood prop hole. If the cowl was just 3/8" higher (or the the right wiper post was 3/8" lower), all would be golden. I already tried grinding off a spare arm cap where it attaches to the post, but I still need another 1/4". So close! I have a spare wiper motor and will fool with that to see if lowering the right wiper post is feasible. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. You would thing the Reflexxion cowl hood engineers/designers would have compensated for this.............

how about some hydraulic lift supports (like the rear hatch) that stop just short of hitting? Would you still have enough room to work under it that way?

how about some hydraulic lift supports (like the rear hatch) that stop just short of hitting? Would you still have enough room to work under it that way?

I had a set of Redline struts I had on my old hood. The highest I can go now w/o hitting is just short of the lower prop hole w. the right wiper arm installed. Unfortunately that ain't enough room for me to do my thing under there Shorty. It's no big deal to pop off the right wiper arm, but it's just not right. I'm sure you know what I mean Vern. :D

Last edited:
I do-- I'm a skinny little bastard, so I can work from the lower prop hole, but it would get tight for anything toward the back of the bay.

I guess you'll never get it right and should just send me the hood-- I'll make the sacrifice and work around it!!:D

I do-- I'm a skinny little bastard, so I can work from the lower prop hole, but it would get tight for anything toward the back of the bay.

I guess you'll never get it right and should just send me the hood-- I'll make the sacrifice and work around it!!:D

Okay, sounds good - hood is on the way.

NOT! But many thanks for the offer. ;) Gotta be a way; just will take some time to figure it all out. There are plenty of these hoods around and installed, some mastermind must have come up with a solution w/o cutting the hood itself by now - (I hope).

O/T, but how do you like the hood otherwise? Where did you get it and if you don't mind, how much? Also, do you have any pics with the hood up showing the issue?

BTW, nice MJ

Back