• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sooo what winch should I get this time

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm thinking about going with Warn. I went cheap last time and payed the price when my mile marker died after the first use. where can I find a good deal? looking for a 12k lbs.

Ruh roh... I'm asking for opinions not technical advice :D

Lol

If it were me, I would compare the motor, and gearing in each of the units you are most interested in. Considering the number of Warns that I have seen "not working" on the trails I don't know that it is that much of a step up?

Michael

Yeah I've been looking at reviews and nothing looks very reliable. I suppose I could have my mile marker repaired. I already swapped the solonoids out. It's still dead and I'm not to up on my electric motors to know where to go next.

You should be able to "hot wire" the motor to see if it works independantly from the rest of the "system". If it doesn't, a new motor is relatively cheap.

Michael

I replaced the motor on my Ramsey Rep 8K about three years ago, cost me about $60. Way cheaper than a new winch, still works fine, although it's still slower than crap.

I've got a Warn M8K on the XJ, only used it a couple of times, but that's the point IMO.

I replaced the motor on my Ramsey Rep 8K about three years ago, cost me about $60. Way cheaper than a new winch, still works fine, although it's still slower than crap.

I've got a Warn M8K on the XJ, only used it a couple of times, but that's the point IMO.

Thats about how much the solonoids cost(off ebay) though milemarker wanted 280 for them because they wouldnt sell just the solonoids.
I'll have to check it out

I had a winch that "died"... multiple points of failure that would have cost more to repair than a new version of the same.

I wanted to replace it with something that could be maintained and modified. My research led me to a Warn 8274. I have been very happy with my decision so far.

Back