• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing Question

CagersXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 sport, and just recently had a 4.5 RC lift installed. RC says the kit was desighned for 32x11.50 with 3.75 backspacing. I have 32x11.50 on stock rims and the tires rub pretty bad on LCA's at near to full turn. My question is how bad/harmful is this and can I get away with driving it for a while this way untill I get new wheels? Also is wheels with the proper backspacing the correct fix to solve this problem? Thanks in advance to those who help!

You will be fine until you get new rims... just stop turning when it rubs. And yes, wheels with the correct backspacing is the correct fix. Or you could just get RC wheel spacers (5x4.5).... that will do too.

You could put a washer or two on your steering bump stops as well. It may help out until you get some 15x8 with 3.75 BS wheels. If you go with rims of this backspacing, you could go with taller/wider tires in the future depending on how you build your XJ. Used wheels are always on Craig's List, on Ebay, in the paper, and on many local Jeep Forums. Just make sure of the backspacing. Ask them what they are before you go and look at them and make sure to measure them before purchasing. IMHO

In case someone may not know, the backspacing of a wheel is measured from the mounting surface (that's the side that goes onto the wheel studs) to the outer lip of the rim.

I have a 99 Sport with a 4.5" RC lift with 3.75 BS steel wheels from Allied through Rusty's and 33x12.50 R15x8's 's. I had to cut one inch of my front fenders. I like the lift and the wheels set up.

Fixed it for you!
In case someone may not know, the backspacing of a wheel is measured from the mounting surface (that's the side that goes onto the wheel studs) to the inner lip of the rim.

Fixed it for you!

Thanks, that does communicate it better.

What I meant by outer lip was the lip edge on that side. However, after reading your change, I can see where my instructions would have been misleading.

I certainly don't want someone to depend on something I wrote that may be perceived differently than I pictured it.

Thanks again,
cher96 Vicki

Back