• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 tailshaft bearing help...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Seven years ago installed a Currie slip yoke eliminator on my '98 242, converted it into 231 flanged tailshaft.

I Remember installing a double row tailshaft output bearing w/russian (I think) writing/markings on box, and a tailshaft seal that I just learned I can only get from Currie 'cause they had them made up just for this application. Can't find either box.

Anyone with 231 experience, is there simply a standard Timken double row bearing that'll pop into any 231 tailshaft that Currie recycled and provided in the kit, I'm guessing there's gotta be, simply because I had to return the 242 tailshaft housing and tailshaft to be recycled into something else.

Want to go Timken, but I have to call Currie anyway to order the seal (doesn't make sense special seal, but what do I know).

thanks, appreciate any info, pn would be great...

http://www.4xshaft.com/currie.html

You know what, looking over the link, I see why the bearing may not be a standard 231 replacement; it's a double row of which one half of it sits in Currie's machined flange...

Last edited:
There is a chance that your bearing and seal are custom, but I wouldn't bet on it. I got told the same thing by Bayougeep about my 231 SYE kit. I had a noise from my TC and decided to remove it and check. The SYE rear bearing was very slightly bad, which at highway speeds caused a noise. Anyway after cross referencing several bearing manfuacturers I found out the bearing is meant for a 241 front output and the rear seal is from a fulltime TC(?) front shaft. I save my numbers for next time. Just do a little research or get friendly with a transmission part supply house.

Angus

I called Currie, the seal is a national/felpro 473317, but the double row ball bearing is a Nachi 990827 that for the life of me I cannot google, let alone cross reference w/any other manufacturer.

Back