• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
I am debating on 33's or 34's. Either way, I want to lock whatever I get and that will have 4:56's in it. What am I better with, D44 or can a Cry 8.25 do it?
I do rocks too BTW...
How much can I expect to pay for a D44?

Do you already have an 8.25? if so, is it the 27 or 29 spline version?

I would comfortably run up to 35's on an open 29 spline 8.25, I'd feel more comfortable with a D44 but I'd definitely run the tire sizes your thinking of on an 8.25.

A D44 is stronger than an 8.25 (both 27 and 29 spline). It's also a semi-floating axle, not c-clipped like the 8.25. A D44 has better gearing options (8.25 maxes out at 4.56, D44 at 5.38 I think). I think a D44 has bigger brakes than an 8.25 (10" drums vs 9"). An 8.25 will probably be cheaper though. As for price, I paid $425 for both my 1987 D44 and a non-disconnect D30 with matching gear ratio.

I have a 27 spline rear 8.25.

I only want to go to 4:56.

Brakes are not an issue, I have the disk brake conversion sitting next to me and the plan was to install them tomorrow into my 8.25 axle. But If I need a D44 to run 34's locked, then I will just wait and install them on a D44..

Yeah, im not doing 35's im gonna go with 33's or 34's...

IXNAYXJ has beat on his 27 spliner on 33's, locked, and has failed to break anything yet. Been that way for over a year. Its just the luck of the draw I guess. If you want to upgrade the 27 spline over to 29 splines, get a new carrier, and a no slip or EZ locker.

TheArsonist21 said:
I have a 27 spline rear 8.25.

I only want to go to 4:56.
If you're not going to go to 35s, and you don't want deeper gears than 4.56s, you'll probably be just fine with an 8.25. It'd probably be a good idea to convert yours to 29 spline when you regear, though (you just need new shafts and a new carrier, as far as I know).

EDIT: damn you're fast, 12GA. :D

Bah, throw in a Ford 8.8 and sell the 8.25 and the disc brake conversion stuff. The 8.8 is way stronger.

Well going to a 29 spline is the same as buying one because the junkyards wont sell just that stuff, they will only sell the whole thing. IN that case I should just get the D44. I will not put for parts in my truck. Plus I dont want to have to modift perches or anything.

TheArsonist21 said:
But if I get 29 spline alloy shafts, they wont go right into my 27 spline 8.25?
You'll have to replace the carrier too, but if you get a full-case locker like an ARB you'd be doing that anyway, and if you're only getting a lunchbox locker like a no-slip a 29-spline carrier isn't all that expensive.

I'm running 37" TSL's on a stock 88 xj with wheel spacers. You could go with either really. Preferably the 44 though. More fun you can have and the peace of mind when you hear the big "THUMP!" coming down on some rocks. Whatever you do have fun with it.

Im starting to think I should be patient, and get a D44. Then put the disk brakes on it in my celler. Then have the gears put in it and then just install it around christmas time...

TheArsonist21 said:
Im starting to think I should be patient, and get a D44. Then put the disk brakes on it in my celler. Then have the gears put in it and then just install it around christmas time...
I'd wait, you'll come across one when you least expect it. I found my D44 at a Pick-A- Part yard when I was looking for an 8.8! I picked it up for $125 and went to another yard and picked up the disc brake setup off of an 8.8 for a mere $52. So, I've got a disc brake Trac Lok 3.55 (will eventually get D/L and 4.88s) for less than $200! Be patient, I stumble across them all the time (I just sold one for $350)------Hans

Back