• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gears vs tire size

wire guy

NAXJA Forum User
so can i be taught about this subject ? im currently running 265 75 16 on my 2000 the only problem is at 65 and 2000 rpm im having to kicit it down a gear often, and im getting tired of it by the way its an automatic. now im thinking of going 33inch anybody know what my tach might read at 65 ?also any idea of labor costs in or around L.A.to chang my gearing 4wheel parts says around 1100.00 labor ,that hurts alot thanks

what would be the difference if i went 4.88 i hear some guys run thoes with 33s...

Yeah I am curious about that too. A guy I know who isnt a XJ guy keeps telling me that 4.88 is the way to go with my 33's. At the moment I am running the 33's on I believe stock gears (I havent checked for sure and not sure how to check lol).

I havent had my XJ on the freeway to get going to 65. I will have to try this though and see or see when I hit 2000. I have automatic :).

I'm sitting at 32s not 33s, but I think my Jeep, 4.0L AW4 auto, 3.55 gearing is at like 2100 at 65 mph. It feels a little like a dog, I'm considering buying the Rusty's 4.56 gear package for my Jeep and installing it myself even though I've never done it. However a friend has, so maybe a case of beer will be in order.

what would be the difference if i went 4.88 i hear some guys run thoes with 33s...
4:88's will be good with 33's and also with 35's but there's a strength issue because the pinion gets really tiny at that ratio. I would suggest 4:56 and if you eventually go up to 35's then a low range kit in the transfer case.

4:88's will be good with 33's and also with 35's but there's a strength issue because the pinion gets really tiny at that ratio. I would suggest 4:56 and if you eventually go up to 35's then a low range kit in the transfer case.

Humm.. so I should go with 4:56 instead if I just want to run 33's for awhile and avoid the extra work and $ ?

so can i be taught about this subject ? im currently running 265 75 16 on my 2000 the only problem is at 65 and 2000 rpm im having to kicit it down a gear often, and im getting tired of it by the way its an automatic. now im thinking of going 33inch anybody know what my tach might read at 65 ?also any idea of labor costs in or around L.A.to chang my gearing 4wheel parts says around 1100.00 labor ,that hurts alot thanks

I am in the same boat and 4 wheel parts quoted me 1245 for parts and labor which seems a little high but I am not sure. Who does everyone recommend for gear installed instead of 4 wheel parts?

Back