• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio question

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
I was curious with they guys running CB's in their rigs if we all have a NAXJA channel set up for talking when not on a trail? I thought if not it might be cool to make a "channel" or channels that we could go to if we see another cherokee drive by on the road to say hi for example, or if out in JV or something and broke with no cell phone working or just want to see if some fellow XJ people out there can easily go to the channel to chat or leave it on for easy contact.

I know that when NAXJA does events and such the trail boss tells them what channel to use etc.

I like to run my CB but I dont care to listen to channel 19 lol.

I was curious with they guys running CB's in their rigs if we all have a NAXJA channel set up for talking when not on a trail? I thought if not it might be cool to make a "channel" or channels that we could go to if we see another cherokee drive by on the road to say hi for example, or if out in JV or something and broke with no cell phone working or just want to see if some fellow XJ people out there can easily go to the channel to chat or leave it on for easy contact.

I know that when NAXJA does events and such the trail boss tells them what channel to use etc.

I like to run my CB but I dont care to listen to channel 19 lol.

HAHA, whats wrong with channel 19????

This sounds like a good idea. How about channel 34??? ( X 24th letter of alphabet and J 10th =34)

Common channel 4 as is in 4wd, 4lo, 4hi, 4:1, 4.0L

For ham, I normally listen in on simplex 146.525 but occassionally may jump to various repeaters

I have that problem...for me its my antenna...Hit it on a branch going 40mph...never worked the same since...

So I guess channel 4 would be a good channel to run as most so far seem to run it anyways :). I do like the 34 channel with the break down meaning for XJ :).

I too dont have the best connection (I get engine noise). I tried wiring recently directly to my battery with inline fuse and still gets the engine noise (works good with engine off lol). Not sure if its a tuning issue now or if its my antenne (one I have currently is that cheap magnet type) and I am curious where to find a good big long antenne as I now have a mounting point for it on my rear bumper? I am guessing the truck plaza but I am guessing they are on the high side $$$. Radio Shack I found out sucks and is basically a poor copy of a circuit city and doesnt have CB's anymore.

Last edited:
I have that problem...for me its my antenna...Hit it on a branch going 40mph...never worked the same since...

Yeah... same thing happened with my johnson. Never worked right since... could be the diabetes, but I still suspect the tree branch.

Gotta keep the seat belt fastened. :eek:

Those things have a pretty short range. You'd really have to be in the right place at the right time to visibly see another NAXJA member, and then hit him up on the Citizen's Band.

I'm thinking of getting into HAM radio (another money pit), and your idea is very viable then! :)

Those things have a pretty short range. You'd really have to be in the right place at the right time to visibly see another NAXJA member, and then hit him up on the Citizen's Band.

I'm thinking of getting into HAM radio (another money pit), and your idea is very viable then! :)

You can still get a few miles with a decently tuned CB, I've ranged little over 4 miles on windy mountain roads in PA with a friend coming back from Rausch Creek.

its not a money pit really.
Taking the test/exam is anywhere from free to $14.
A used 2M can be had as cheap as $20-$100. Brand new FT-1800 series can be anywhere from $120-$200
Cheap 2M antenna - $10-$40

Back