• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl question :)

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I was wanting to put some hood vents or a cowl on my lil beast, but was wondering which would be more beneficial for all around heat disappation both at highway and crawl speeds. Ive searched and read about the vent placement vs air flow... but was wondering if a cowl would work better for both and not just one or the other.

As Air is Forced down into the Cowl at Higher Speeds, the Vacuum under the Vehicle pulls Air from where ever it can. Air goes through the Radiator and out the Cowl at slow speeds.

I used 4 Stainless Flathhead Screw-bolts with Poly Faucet Grommets and Stainless Washers and Nuts on all 4 Corners. I did this so that I could remove the Crowl at will.

I opted for a Crowl Hood Scoop with a 11" Circle Opening in the Hood. Why?

The Crowl goes back to the the rear of the Hood covering the Opening. The Top of the Crowl overlaps over the Crowl Vent by a couple of inches allowing water to go down the Vent instead of into my Engine Compartment.

Before I had the Crowl Scoop, I had a Fan Mounted to the Opening on the underside of the Hood. However, water flowed down onto the Engine causing some Ignition problems. One of which was a cracked Accel Coil. While I had the Fan turned off, I watched the Flow of Air. Under 30 mph the Air flowed out the Opening. Over 30 mph, the Air Flowed into the Opening. I had to turn off the Fan when I was going over 30. I removed the Fan and covered the Opening with the Crowl and have had no problems with the Ignition when it rains.

I have one like this one only mine is white: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hood...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171

Mine measures up the same at 37" L, 22" W, 2" H inches.

Hope this helps.

SANY0991.jpg

Hope this helps.

fthdg8.jpg

Here's the info so when it goes off Ebay someone can contact them if they choose to go this direction.

Universal Cowl Scoop $54.00 Shipping: US $22.00

* one universal cowl scoop.
* Dimensions: 37" L, 22" W, 2" H inches.
* Made of hand laid fiberglass and smooth gel coat surface finish.
* All scoops are brand new and never been installed.
* Made from 5-6 layers of hand-laid fiberglass.
* All scoops are made from high-quality fiberglass .
* Satisfaction Guaranteed. If you are unsatisfied with this product when you receive it simply send it back for a full refund (excluding shipping).

# No shipping to PO BOX and international addresses.
# Please allow 4-8 days for item to arrive.
# Item will be shipped via FedEx Ground.
# Tracking number can be provided upon request.

Race Composites
Phone: (727) 488-6982
Email: [email protected]

2vuc64x.jpg

I think it would look much better painted to match, cowl hoods look good on Cherokee's. With it being white it stands out too much. It essentially looks the same as mine, except mine is a full fiberglass hood and painted to match. And IMO, cowl hoods look much better than trendy hood vents, you just need to fine tune your cowl a little.

0613091648.jpg

I'd rather go with a cowl hood. I put hood spacers in my hood so that it acts like a minor cowl hood and it works good. From what I hear, when the vehicle is at a good amount of speed or at highway speed, the air gets sucked into the cowl and through the engine bay, which I guess is why they call them "cowl induction" hoods. At slow speeds such as crawling, the hot air in the engine bay gets released out the cowl, making underhood temps better. I think someone already mentioned this.
I'd believe it too considering I can see the hot air being pushed out of my hood when I'm sitting or idling along, as well as my temp gauge reading lower.
I'd like one of these:
35727-md.jpg

I'll probably make my own though by cutting up a hood and welding sheet metal sides onto it.

Thanks for the Compliments. I must be Doing Something Right. You Should see the Interior. LOL

Everyone has their Preferences and How they Like Something to Look. I just Don't Care what my XJ Looks Like. I am of the Mindset that Pretty Jeeps, Rigs, Trucks, and Mall Crawlers are for Wimps or Whanna Be Cool but NOT at all in my Opinion.

I Think a Jeep should be Rough, Tough, and Functional. It gives it Character in my Book. The More Functional the Better. I do not Plan to Ever Paint my XJ. When Rust Spots Show Up... I'll just Clean er Up and Shaker Can It. To Each their Own, I Believe. But, then Again, I don't Really Care How it Looks.

Search for cowl induction hood using poster name 1bolt. I think that's exactly what he did. It's pretty danged cool.
I think someone else on here did that as well, it looked extremely nice. I think he painted it flat black and I think he had a lifted silver Jeep, however it was a while ago that I searched it.

Back