• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone put switches on the tranny bezel?

mizedog

NAXJA Forum User
I'm still trying to decide on where to put my switches. Has anyone installed them in the auto shift bezel to the right of the shifter? There's quite a bit of room there. I have two ARB switches (rear diff, comp), and four light switches. I think I could put five ARB/Carlintech switches on there, but I'd like six.

Anyone..? Did you spill your drink on them and cause a short?

Notice the ARB switches to the left. I want them away from my knee.
Cherokeedash.jpg

Yes, I did a search, built a Fitch box, but am not sure I want to use it.

A few years ago, I put 2 ARB switches in there mounted sideways. From what I recall, it looked like 4 was possible but I don't think that 5 was gonna work due to some structural stuff underneath the cover. Pull it up and look.

I have 3 switches there for various shifting functions, as well as one to fool the broken NSS and make my R lights come on. There is really not room for any more they way I have them set up, but this is on an 87, and I believe the bezel from a 93. The later models are different, but it appears this would be possible there as well. The problem I have with space is mainly related to the larger bottom part of the toggle switches.

[FONT=&quot]
I'm still trying to decide on where to put my switches. Has anyone installed them in the auto shift bezel to the right of the shifter? There's quite a bit of room in there. /QUOTE]

I mounted five switches/buttons on the left side.
The front locker switch is just below the shifter and it easy to reach and use without looking.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/3483661800/in/set-72157617434915718/

The big ARB switches need a lot of room so the right side is probably the best place for your application. When installing the switches, remove the console and build it at your workbench. Use crimp-on disconnects to make the connection to the new wiring coming out of the dash.
http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.com/Disconnects.htm[/FONT]

I believe this is what you are looking for, courtesy of EricsXJ

oba72.jpg

I put my trans temp gauge there on an autometer mount. Haven't come close to spilling anything on it.

I put mine in the space below the power outlets,makes access and wiring a breeze!

i had two of my aux lighting switches there, but one day one of them got switched on when i must have been getting stuff out of the car or something. it ended up draining my battery and melting the aux. lights cause they had covers on them

still have the switches there, but are now toggle style with the covers

I have used some small rocker switches there for OBA and reverse/aux lights. Its a good place to put them.. easy access and otherwise wasted space. Just be sure that the wiring doesn't get caught in any of the shifter mechanism. I also have two switches and a dial on that space to the right of the gauge cluster, however ARB switches won't fit there.

Ok, I gave up on getting the ARB switches and light switched on the bezel. The cheap Chinese plastic rockers that would have looks more stock broker before I had a chance to put them on. So, I decided to got with traditional metal toggle switches, but add LEDs, and ruber covers to help them blend in with the interior, and provide a little splash protection in case a drink spills. I need to order more rubber boots as I only had two. I'm wiring this so I can unplug/unscrew the wires to get the bezel off, or to replace switches as necessary. The LEDs are only to indicate when somethin is on. They are too bright so I painted them black before installin them.
P1010161.jpg

P1010166.jpg

Here you can see the splices for the red LED wire to tap into the switch power wire. All four switch power wires and the four grounds for the LEDs will mount to an eight-position bus. I'll then spray liquid tape on it for protection.
P1010164-1.jpg

I'll hook up the fogs tomorrow. Later I'll add rock lights, reverse lights, and driver/long range lights. Oh, I dumped my Sirius subscription and will remove the bracket to hold the radio. I'll move the CB mic clip to the front edge of the console above the cup holders. I'll also add one or two LEDs to the dash pointing down over the drink holders to run with the dash lights. All LEDs are green.

I have four switches hooked up there as well..works pretty well, and you can replace it if you want to sell your truck or end up not liking the set up or whatever.

Back