• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arms plans,..

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have found some old homebrew longarms plans

Long Arms
----------------------
6' of 2"x.25" DOM tube = $60

Treaded tube adapter part # PP-TA15 = $16 x 2
@  HYPERLINK "http://www.polyperformance.com/tube_adapters.htm" http://www.polyperformance.com/tube_adapters.htm

Machining to turn OD of Tube adapters from
1.75" to 1.5" = $20

Upper control arm bushing sleeve = $7 x 2
Lower control arm bushing sleeve = $10 x 2
@  HYPERLINK "http://www.RubiconExpress.com" www.RubiconExpress.com

Upper Control Arm bushing = $7 x 2
Lower Control Arm bushing = $10 x 2
@ AutoZone

2.5" Currie Johnny Joint with Welded Stud
and hardware = $50 x 2
@  HYPERLINK "http://www.offroadjeepparts.com" www.offroadjeepparts.com

3' of 1.5"x1.5"x3/16" wall square tube = $5
@ Local metal scrap yard (price may vary)

3"x3/4" 16tpi bolt = $3 x 2
16tpi3/4" nut = $1.5 x 2
16tpi3/4" jam nut = $3 x 2
@ Local hardware store
that I am useing to fabricate my longarms and want to first thank the author and ask if anyone has any updated advice/pic or suggestion on refinements to these somewhat "beefy specifications"-I have recently fitted an 12'-inch long mild steel tube re-enforcement inside what passes for the XJ frame rail channel for some new 5/8"-inch dia bolts to attach the control arm mounts and crossmember but have some lingering doubts if 2"-inch .250 wall DOM will be a little bit of an overkill-
As always,thanks for any and all input .
bxj

...1.75" inch DOM for medium offroad performance or 2" inch .250 walled DOM for ultimate safely and strength,....anyone,..?

I'm using 2"x.250 myself.... maybe it's over kill but with D60's and 39.5's I really don't mind overkill at this point.

..ahh,..just what I wanted to hear-I was haveing some lingering suspiction about this very expensive DOM and the 2"-inch DOM being somewhat too bulky and heavy for the XJ even after re-enforceing the the "frame rail " channel with boxed tube
for the frame attach points-I used some 3 larger 5/8" inch sized bolts inserted though the boxed tube to hold the crossmember and control/longarm mounts with flat plate shims on the side-
All and everything to be welded properly burned-in later-(.In the first foto please .notice the floorboard around the transmission tunnel plus the effects of Midwestern winter salted streets and rust corrosion,..) LOL
thanks for the confidence boost,I'll be moveing forward again -
bxj

bxj, I'm having a little trouble following what you are trying to get across. What type of suspension is this going to be? Radius arms, 3 link, other?

Either way, 1.75"x0.250" wall DOM is about as small as I personally would do if you actually wheel for the lowers, and I don't even think I'd want to run them. Sure there are plenty of people running smaller stuff and companies selling smaller stuff, but if you are taking the time to build it yourself do it right. I've witnessed twice first hand 1.75"x0.250" wall bend on the trail, once with a D30 and 35s, coming down onto them of a rock ledge will do numbers on them. The other was not an XJ. I'd look at 2"x0.375" wall (that's what mine are) or 2.25"x0.250" wall for lowers. It isn't all that much more money and you won't end up doing it twice. Uppers can be much smaller.

Tube adapters, why pay an extra $20 to have them turned down and not just order the correct size to begin with?

Bushings from Autozone, you arn't planning on using stock ones are you? Good quality bushings are much more, if any.

As for the frame issues, do it right and plate the entire unirail. Then build a crossmember that bolts up to that. I still think 3 bolts on a side is a little less than I'd like to see holding up my suspension and trans/engine, I'm using 5 per side.

Does that answer anything?

I'm using 2"x.250 myself.... maybe it's over kill but with D60's and 39.5's I really don't mind overkill at this point.
When did you do that? Less than a month ago you were on a T&T setup with D30/8.25 and 35" Krawlers?

Last edited:
..good point RCman,.
.I don't show it in the above fotos,but I am tying everything together with an additional two 1/2" inch bolts though the sides of the frame rail and incorporating an angle iron "L" concept :
If you can visualize this as looking at what hilarously passes as our "rice paper thin frame rail" ,headlong ,the boxed tube insert is further used with the outside "L" angle iron + two 1/2" inch bolts comeing in from the side-
bxj

Back