• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold outside = better running engine?!?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Since it dropped into the fifties or so here it feel likes my '98 is idling smoother and pulling stronger, is this what cold air intake is all about?

Vehicle may begin a life in Fl., now thinking cheapo homemade cold air intake and hood vents might be nice (and cheap).

FWIW, temp guage still read the same as if a hotter day...

Yeah, pretty much. Cold air is more dense than warm air and has less moisture, so you get better efficiency out of the same intake stroke.

Here is what I did:

intake1.jpg

Your filters' still in the engine compartment, right? Though it's away from exhaust manifold, and seems like it's picking up cooler air way down there.

I have another Optima in a diesel oem tray where the oem airbox used to live, and the largest K&N cone I could find. It connects to the tb via the original corrugated rubber intake "thing" whatever its' called (can't remember) like you have, with a shorth length of steel tubing.

The end of the filter butts up against the left side of engine bay, I think if I shorten that wide oem tube, I can build a housing like the guy on GoJeep I think and vent it through the left front fender (Its' slightly damaged in just that area from a stupid collision w/a phone pole, like .25 mph in reverse) :dunce:

Then use possibly a 3" 90* elbow for that forced air effect. I don't think Orlando gets the cool ocean breezes like you probably do in Daytona, so the vents will round out the picture.

Thanks for the reply and photo, maybe you can point me out places to 'wheel in Fl., bought the house 12/05, been there maybe four times since (not w/the xj yet though) :mad:

Heh, the only wheeling I do is to the mall and back. I have one of the few and hated street jeeps. This intake isn't the one I currently have on there. I redid it with a diffrent pipe and wrapped it in header wrap. It does go to the same place though (which isn't good if you play in water).

Edit: Also, it is sitting right above where the oil filter is.

funny honda quote, I don't use a/c much, maybe I'll vent some of it in engine bay :jester:

that's funny, "few and hated street jeeps".

I have a roll of this high heat reflective Nashua duct tape, had to buy like a quarter mile roll for maybe three feet needed for my home furnace, you know, the thing that this jerk has to run now sometimes in order to stay WARM :gonnablow

I'm on a homemade anything kick, this Fl. mortgage really changes ones' perspective on priorities. Glad I got about 90% of my xj mods done prior to house purchase,

thanks again...

t/c - IF its' a deLux 242 like MINE.

there's a little known aerator-like fitting, actually a knock-out, but you have to split the case to install it :confused1

Back