• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help With Vibrating Jeep

paulie5982

NAXJA Forum User
My whole Jeep vibrates, and no one has been able to correctly tell me why. Anybody know a GOOD place that could figure it out in the westchester county NY, area??or Danbury, CT.

New ujoints, new hubs, rebuilt tcase, balanced front driveshaft,lowered tcase,tires,tires balanced,ect..???
Thanks.

What eng/trans/T-case/axles?

Oh yeah, I changed every front end part on it. it has about 2 3/4 - 3" of lift. 1998 4:56 gears rear detroit locker. Front dana 30.Vibration started when I had the front end geared to match the rear 4:56's. never had a vibration before that (had front drive shaft off).
Vibration starts just before 60mph and stays about the same as fast as I go, I can sometimes feel it a little when I am going slower too.
Any Ideas or any shops around that could help.

3 " lift on a high pinion D30 shouldnt start a vibe... i had a vibe in my steering the steering wheel would start shaking left to right pretty bad when i hit the brakes and minor shimmy at 50mph, what i did to tone mine down was to get my rotor's resurfaced... now then since your 3" lift and all your front end parts changed, have you bothered to get it aligned? new front adjustable track bar? i still have a minor shimmy at 50 but everyone keeps telling me its because i dont have it aligned right, i'd go that route and see where it takes you. if you take off your brake disc's yourself they will only charge you maybe 20 dollars for both rotor's as to what it would cost for a full brake job. and its literally take the wheel off, remove the caliper and pull the disc off, its so simple a caveman could do it. so.. alignment, brakes resurfaced and rebalance ur tires/wheels, you could of knocked off a weight or 2 wheeling.... thats what i would do if it was me. ALSO a cheaper route for track bar, you could do the skyjacker track bar relocation bracket, its like 30 bucks from summit... im going to order one possible here this week cuz i cant afford a track bar.

I really think it is driveline related , I just remembered, when I take off the front driveshaft the vibe stops. This has been making me crazy since November, so I apologize for forgetting things.

ok... so removing the driveshaft eliminates the problem... if it continued after it was removed it could be bent axle tubes or alignment etc... BUT it only happens when you put your drive shaft on i would assume it's a bent or unbalanced drive shaft, to eliminate that possiblility i would take the front drive shaft down and have it balanced.

ok... so removing the driveshaft eliminates the problem... if it continued after it was removed it could be bent axle tubes or alignment etc... BUT it only happens when you put your drive shaft on i would assume it's a bent or unbalanced drive shaft, to eliminate that possiblility i would take the front drive shaft down and have it balanced.
He stated he had D/L balanced, sounds like front end or gear related.since it started after front gear install.

Thats what I think but i'm not sure, and i got sick of bringing it back to the guy that did it to get the run around(i think) everytime. Maybe I'll try one more time, since I cant rebuild the front end myself, but it seems pointless.

Pinion preload? Not sure I can. I could try though, thanks for the idea. Have you seen that before?
I have seen vibrations caused by worn out pinion bearings. With the driveshaft out, see if there is any movement of the yoke up and down or side to side or in and out. If there is any movement the bearings are probably worn out.

I have seen vibrations caused by worn out pinion bearings. With the driveshaft out, see if there is any movement of the yoke up and down or side to side or in and out. If there is any movement the bearings are probably worn out.
He stated gears were changed in november. could it be a botched install.probably should see another gear man.

yanno i was thinking... did you check ur blinker fluid? :gee: we've checked everything else... hope the shop didnt mess you over for your money, but you could always send the BBB after them

Possible gears,driveshaft angles or the driveshaft itself.What brand gears did you use?

Back