• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which locker

Trouble

NAXJA Forum User
im polishing another 30. ive been looking for a selectable locker.
there are 3 that ive been looking at. ARB, OX, and the Eaton E-locker. im running 4.88 gears and 35" tires. My last one had a arb but i ended up selling it. cost isnt a factor in the choices. what are your experiences with each?

im polishing another 30. ive been looking for a selectable locker.
there are 3 that ive been looking at. ARB, OX, and the Eaton E-locker. im running 4.88 gears and 35" tires. My last one had a arb but i ended up selling it. cost isnt a factor in the choices. what are your experiences with each?
ARB*

*properly set up of course, with a stainless steel airline

have this setup in a HP30, and love it.

have a Detroit in the rear, and this combination is the bees knees for me right now

This is a Repost of a Previous Post I Posted without All the Capitalization. LOL

Go with a Selectable... The very best is the OX Locker and is less expensive than an Air or Electric Selectable. IMHO

No wires to short out. No hoses to crack or brake or Air Pump to worry about.

ARB Locker kit plus Air Pump= Big Bucks. I like the idea of a cable running to the locker better than I like the idea of an air line, air compressor, Etc.Etc. Etc.

On slippery, rainy, icy, or snowy surfaces a selectable is always the best for the front. When unselected the wheels spin like an open diff and you will not have to worry about it suddenly locking up and taking you where you have never been before. I will never go with anything else but a selectable for the front.

I don't Recommend Auto Lockers up Front if you deal with snow because it's very difficult to make normal turns. The front end feels like it's on ice and your turning radius is cut short.

2usd2tw.jpg

* 100% MADE IN THE USA.
* Lockers are made of 8620 steel. SAME AS RING AND PINION GEARS
* Only FORGED and heat treated steel. NO CAST PARTS HERE
* Exclusive 4 spider gear design on ALL OX Lockers.
* HEAVY DUTY Steel Diff Cover. Included FREE with each locker
* “Back Cut” gear tooth locking ring and locking gear. DESIGNED FOR MAXIMUM LOCKING FORCE!
* 100% mechanical design with cable and shifter.
* Optional Air Actuation System.

If you choose you could go with any of these options:

Manual shifter OX-SHFT

Air actuation system OXA1001

Electronic shifter OXE1001

OX Lockers for the following aplications:

Dana 30 3.73 and up, 27 spline OXD30C373H-27

Dana 30 3.73 and up, 30 spline OXD30C373H-30

Dana 35 3.55 and up, 27 spline OXD35C355H-27

Dana 35 3.55 and up, 30 spline OXD35C355H-30

Dana 44 3.73 and dn,30 spline OXD44C373D-30

Dana 44 3.92 and up, 30 spline OXD44C392H-30

Dana 44 3.92 and up, 33 spline OXD44C392H-33

Dana 44 JK, Non Rubicon, 30 spline OXD44JK-30

Dana 60 4.10 and dn, 35 spline OXD60C354H-35

Dana 60 4.10 and dn, 30 spline OXD60C354H-30

Dana 60 4.56 and up, 35 spline OXD60C456H-35

Dana 60 4.56 and up, 30 spline OXD60C456H-30

Ford 8.8 2.73 and up, 31 spline OXF88C273H-31

AMC 20 3.08 and up, 29 spline OXA20C308H-29

Yes, they are working on a Chrysler 8.25 Locker and its in testing right now.

http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/Home/tabid/365/Default.aspx

OX

440 S. Pinellas Ave

Tarpon Springs, FL 34689

Technical Support: 727-230-7803

Fax: 727-232-3721

Email at:

[email protected]

Hope this helps.

IMHO I would go OX. I would definitely not go electric with that size tires. It seems like it would have a high potential to wear out prematurely. The ARB is a great unit but simplicity wins out in my book so OX.

never liked the OX three piece carrier. to much to flex and walk out. that is why ARB re-designed the RD30 to the RD100 only thing holding that carrier together is the ring gear bolts

never liked the OX three piece carrier. to much to flex and walk out. that is why ARB re-designed the RD30 to the RD100 only thing holding that carrier together is the ring gear bolts
I've never heard of anybody having an ox come apart on them. If the bolts are properly torqued and loctited I can't see them coming out.

I have been beating the snot out of mine for over a year now and am just adjusting it (cable) for the first time since install!! You cannot beat the positive control of a cable............ air and electric are failures all to often!!

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about as I'm sure he has never seen a Dana30 OX that has come apart. He's only seen ARBs and Detroits that have. ;)

I however did have my front Dana44 OX come apart because of sloppy machining in the end cap. The 1/4" bolts kept losening and almost trashed my bearing caps and gears when they broke off...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I tried tack welding them in but they ended up breaking so I safety wired them last time and haven't had an issue since.

I tried tack welding them in but they ended up breaking so I safety wired them last time and haven't had an issue since.

I have never Heard of anyone Doing that Before. Most the Jeepers I know used Loctite and have Never had Any Issues with the Bolts Loosening or with Their Ox Lockers giving anything Less Than Awesome Results with On or OffRoad Driving.

Just my .02

how does an air actuated ox work?

x a billion about the front automatic locker and snow. I go boarding alot, also love snow wheeling, and I have to go considerably slower than usual on the main roads cuz it doesn't turn where I want it to til the last minute. I have scared qutie a few ppl this way. Scared the piss out of me only once tho.

I hope someone who has one will post up. However, I have No idea. Why not give Ox Tech a call tomorrow if no one posts up.

Technical Support: 727-230-7803

Or Email and ask. [email protected]

x3 on the front auto locker and snow. My Aussie causes some very spooky behavior on the half assed plowed roads in NH. I'm hoping to swap to a selectable before the snow flys again.

http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=TxjoW1hVlYQ%3d&tabid=436&mid=813

best i could find, it replaces the cable entirely, and forces you to have to route two air lines into the cab :puke: call me crazy, but i like having electric over air for the ARB.

Part that replaces the cable:
http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/OnlineStor.../22/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/175/Default.aspx

switch:
http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/OnlineStor...ageindex/2/Level/a/ProductID/176/Default.aspx

x a billion about the front automatic locker and snow. I go boarding alot, also love snow wheeling, and I have to go considerably slower than usual on the main roads cuz it doesn't turn where I want it to til the last minute. I have scared qutie a few ppl this way. Scared the piss out of me only once tho.
The air actuated OX simply has an air actuator mounted to the front where a cable would go.

I love my Detroit in the rear D44 and the ARB in the front D30. Very nice combo. The only failures I have seen on the ARB are due to bad routing of the air hose (too close to the exhaust and it melts). The good thing is it is easy to fix within about 1 minute.

I love my E-locker for the record. And I've never heard of one "wearing out" so I don't see how the claim can be made that with bigger tire's it will "wear out". Maybe it has something to do with the confusion of an ECTED and E-locker.

~Scott

Last edited:
OX!! Made in the USA and NEVER failed me!! :conceited

Back