• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering

live24wheel

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the deal I have Currie steering and being that im at 6.5" of lift, there is a lot of angle on things, i.e. trackbar. I would like to redo my steering with a crossover type steering setup and redo the track bar to be a bit flatter. I found this pic, I think on the Jeepspeed forum, and saved it but kind find the thread now, then again I didn't look to hard since I already have the pic. Granted this guy doesn't have a 30 in the front, what would be wrong with this type of setup? If I used 5/8" heims, I cant imagine it would be to weak, Rock Krawler run's 5/8" heims and there steering is strong as hell. Of course I think one of my new JKS sway bar mounts will now become useless.... Does anyone know how much angle the Currie tie rod end at the pitman arm can handle? I definitely max it out :-D

Picture281.jpg

There's nothing wrong strength wise with that setup. The major problems you'll run into are;

1.) you're going to have to rebuild your track bar and brackets to be at the same angle as your drag link, otherwise during droop you will bind.

2.) Look at the angles on the heims at the knuckle and the pitman arm. They're already pretty far through their travel. Meaning when you droop it out, there's a good change you're going to bind up on your heim/max it out.

I have no problem building a new trackbar. I have the upper Rock Krawler bracket I can use and can build the lower.

As for maxing out the heims, if they have any more travel then what the Currie has them im in a better position than I am now. I am maxing out the Currie steering I have now. Also, on the heims, I would try to run High misalignment spacers if I can vs the reg. spacers. Now I can't find the chart that showed what heims could run at what degree with whichever spacers.

OK Im on Poly Performance's site, if i'm reading it right, then I can get 30 degrees of misalignment if I use the high misalignment spacers.... Now I need to figure out the numbers for the currie steering.

Ok now I have a problem :-D I just added up all the parts if I went through poly's site.... With heims, jam nuts, threaded tube ends and high misalignment spacers, basically just some of the hardware, $441!!! That doesn't even include the cost of 1 1/2 .250 wall DOM tubing or the bolts... I guess I better get it all gold plated.

Ok now I have a problem :-D I just added up all the parts if I went through poly's site.... With heims, jam nuts, threaded tube ends and high misalignment spacers, basically just some of the hardware, $441!!! That doesn't even include the cost of 1 1/2 .250 wall DOM tubing or the bolts... I guess I better get it all gold plated.
Check ruffstuff for heims he's got some SMOKIN' deals on them

What is interesting to me is that you always see the hiems run parallel to the ground, all but the track bars hiems (upper.) There must be some reason, but for the life of me I don't know why you couldn't build your steering using your hiems perpendicular to the ground.
There has got to be a reason we don't see that.....

What is interesting to me is that you always see the hiems run parallel to the ground, all but the track bars hiems (upper.) There must be some reason, but for the life of me I don't know why you couldn't build your steering using your hiems perpendicular to the ground.
Well a few guys will run the heim from the drag link connecting to the tie rod vertical, on shock tab's welded to the tie rod. Not sure if you can imagine what I mean. SoCalBill is running his ballistic steering this way.

But anyway, from what I've heard from a few people, it'd give you tie rod roll and a dead spot in your steering. Also keep in mind, BOTH heims have to be mounted vertical for it to make a difference realistically, cause they're both moving at the same rate. So what would you do with your pitman arm heim? Even if you COULD figure out how to mount a heim sitting on end vertically you'd bind every time you turned lock to lock.

Well a few guys will run the heim from the drag link connecting to the tie rod vertical, on shock tab's welded to the tie rod. Not sure if you can imagine what I mean. SoCalBill is running his ballistic steering this way.

But anyway, from what I've heard from a few people, it'd give you tie rod roll and a dead spot in your steering. Also keep in mind, BOTH heims have to be mounted vertical for it to make a difference realistically, cause they're both moving at the same rate. So what would you do with your pitman arm heim? Even if you COULD figure out how to mount a heim sitting on end vertically you'd bind every time you turned lock to lock.

Back