• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrament Lights way dim

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
I searched this and didn't find anything, doesn't mean it's not there.

On my 01 Sport the instrament lights and odometer/radio lights are all very dim when the headlights are turned on. I can hardly read the odometer and radio, even with the dimmer on the light switch turned all the way up. Is this just the way these are or do I have a bad ground or something somewhere?

Thanks for any help!

Could be your dimmer in your headlamp switch going faulty as well - any of a number of things.

I find a good way to clean electrical contacts (which you should keep in your toolbox anyhow,) is a simple eraser. The pink ones are good, the white ones are a little better, and the grey ones (for ink) are best.

Also, check the IP illumination lead (don't know the colour offhand - I know it was ORG/BLK early on, but I'd have to check the FSM for your year. You can detach the harness connector from the headlamp switch and use a jumper leat to feet +12VDC to the panel illumination to see - if it's still dim, it's a contact (probably on the back of the IP.) If it gets bright, it's a shonky dimmer in the switch.

5-90

5-90 said:
Could be your dimmer in your headlamp switch going faulty as well - any of a number of things.

I find a good way to clean electrical contacts (which you should keep in your toolbox anyhow,) is a simple eraser. The pink ones are good, the white ones are a little better, and the grey ones (for ink) are best.

Also, check the IP illumination lead (don't know the colour offhand - I know it was ORG/BLK early on, but I'd have to check the FSM for your year. You can detach the harness connector from the headlamp switch and use a jumper leat to feet +12VDC to the panel illumination to see - if it's still dim, it's a contact (probably on the back of the IP.) If it gets bright, it's a shonky dimmer in the switch.

5-90

Sorry to be dumb, but what's the IP?

5-90 said:
IP = Instrument Panel. The "Dash" is actually the assembly it bolts to, as long as we're on trivia...

5-90

I suppose if I could spell I might have found more on instrument lights, eh?

Back