• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow a Travel Trialer w/ XJ? 5klb rating right? :-)

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I don't take the 5k lb rating very seriously. When I took the class II receiver off of my parts jeep, there were serious cracks on the unibody where the hitch bolts to it, like near the nut strip, and at the open end of the "frame rail" the hitch bolts too. What good is a upgrading to a Class III if the receiver is going to rip off the frame before the receiver fails?

Now I realize.. I don't know the exact history on my parts jeep, and the cracks may be the result of years of towing.. ( I know the guy had a ski boat).

Now to my question.. I'm playing with the idea of buying a pop up camper, or small travel trailer.. at what weight.. would I be absolutely miserable towing with it? 3k lbs? I imagine pulling a 5klb travel trailer up a hill with an XJ.. would be pretty slow and labored..

I do have a trans cooler..

Ive seen XJs tow 5k, yes it was definitely labored. But i think the previous owner must have abused his hitch in some way, that shouldn't happen.
You will definitely notice 3k, you are almost doubling the weight the engine must move.

I towed a 2k+ lb. Coleman Santa Fe pop-up behind my 94 XJ 3 times from Chicago to Moab, and several times from Chicago up into MI. No problems. I would highly recommend trailers brakes of some sort (I greatly prefer electric over surge.)

3k is max for safety and I still recommend brakes. I think the 5k rating is a stretch, yes it will get it done but it will be a uneasy experience. I have towed a 3k bass boat with my 1990 XJ for 4 years and about 5k miles total with no issues and I had trailer brakes.

With a AW4 XJ make sure you add a cooler to keep the tranny cool and it will last a good long time.

i just pulled a 1200lb trailer with a sectional couch on it from indy to dayton ohio and it hated it! it was in and out of gears, a couple times the torque converter didn't lock up and threw a CEL and the slightest hill killed all momentum. I couldn't imagine pulling much more on the Highway. My F250 pulls our bobcat and trailer 100 times better than the XJ did with the little trailer i pulled. i was very dissapointed.

I wouldn't call a comparison between an XJ and a 250 exactly fair when it comes to towing. Also if a hill kills are your momentum, you aren't going fast enough.

true on the comparison just saying the 7000+lbs on the back of the f250 feels effortless compared to the 1200 i had on the xj. Yes hills were killing it. speed limit in indy is 70 and i hit a good 80 down hill and by the time i was at the top it was struggling to stay above 55 unless i floored it

Back