• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Key, To Single Key

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this? Made your ignition key your door key aswell, or swapped in the newer single keys that are trapazoid shaped?

My dual keys are getting warn down, so its almost time for new lock cylinders and ignition cyclinders. So Im just looking into idea. If I can get the newer single keys for all around and also swap in the keyless entry from the Jeep Id pull it from that would be awesome. Also the hatch factor I figure I could just do the ZJ style latch on the hatch.

The older, dual key, setup uses a GM style steering column. Later Jeeps with the single key use the Dodge designed column, and I don't think the ignition switch is interchangeable. I would try and figure what year Jeep went to the single key and see if it's GM style column, that would be your best bet for compatibility. Good Luck

Woody

Would I be able to just use my ignition key as my door key aswell, just have a locksmith do it.

The keyways for the GM-style keys (actually made by Briggs & Stratton, if you can get that!) are different. You can change the wafers, but the cylinders won't pass the other key.

However, I am given to understand that the early ChryCo XJ (1991-1995-ish,) still use a GM column with a ChryCo key, so that remains a viable option. The door cylinders can be swapped readily - the column with just a little bit of work.

I just need to get a couple of tumbler kits - I don't mind having two keys for each truck - but with five trucks, I'd not mind if the same pair of keys worked on each truck!

5-90

The ignition cylinder locks can be swapped if you get one from, like 5-90 said, a 1991-1994 GM Column XJ. You will then have to file a slot in it so the screw that goes into your existing lock cylinder will go into the new one. It's self explanatory when you get in there, and not very hard at all. The glovebox and tailgate locks are for sure direct swaps and depending what year XJ the door lock cylinders may be as well.
Hope it helps,
Collin

Last edited:
Back