• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IFS vs. Solid Axle

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm sure everyone can chime in on the Solid Axle side here being a Cherokee forum, but I'm well aware of the basic benefits of a solid axle for off-roading and would really like it if anyone had some extra not so appearant advantages of the Solid Axle.

The reason I ask is that I am writing a business proposal for my English Class on why Toyota should redesign the front suspension of the FJ Cruiser to incorporate a Solid Axle instead of IFS. Basically my theory behind it is to increase sales via better competition with the Jeep Wrangler. Not that I really give a rats ass about the FJ because I'd buy 4 Cherokees before I ever bought one FJ, but it was a do-able topic that I thought of quickly.

Any input is greatly appreciated, and links to other websites about the subject is good too! Thanks.

A solid axle gives you better articulation off road then a stock IFS type system, the downfall of a solid axle is the ride quality. IFS works much better for faster terrain and absorbing bumps.

-Alex

Easier to make a strong setup. Simpler.

Keeping it on the side of selling a vehicle better - I personally think the solid front axle make the front of any vehicle look tougher and more rugged. Especially when there isn't a bunch of plastic junk hiding it.

IFS does Well on the Highway, as a Daily Driver, or for Road Racing. If one Wishes to Crawl or have to Drive Down a Trail with Deep Ruts, Ledges, or Rocks then a Solid Axle is a Better Setup. A Solid Axle has a Wealth of Gearing Available, more Wheel Travel and Articulation, and is more Durable than the IFS.

With a IFS Suspension, the Shorter the A-Arms the Less the Articulation. Flex is Near Impossible Due to the CV Axles. They Flex in a Couple of Places Over a Short Distance. One can not Flex Beyond the Limits of the CVs.

With a Solid Axle One Drives their One Front Tire on to the Tallest Object Lifting the Differential to Pass Over the Object as Best It can. The Undercarriage may be Lifted as Well if the Object being Driven Over is Tall Enough Enabling Enough Ground Clearance Under the Vehicle to Pass as Well. IFS does not Allow the Tire to Carry the Differential Over the Object as the Vehicle would remain at it's Origional Height. Unless One Drives High Enough to Lift that Corner Up, One can not increase the clearance of an IFS Vehicle. IMHO

Thanks for all the posts so far!

I'm trying to make a chart of all of the necessary components for both IFS and SFA to do a comparison. If you guys could help me out with the necessary stuff for IFS that'd be good. Here's what I have for SFA:

• Shocks
  • Steering Stabilizer
  • Axle Assembly
  • Steering Linkage
  • Control Arms
  • Driveshaft
  • Coils
  • Swaybar Assembly
Here's what I've got for IFS:

• Shocks
  • Steering Rack
  • Spindles/Hub Assemblies
  • Strut Tower Mounts
  • Driveshaft
  • A-Arms
  • Coils/Struts
  • Swaybar Assembly
  • Differential
  • CV joints
  • Subframe
  • (What are those links that extend backwards from the A-Arms?)
Please add, I've been laying liner at a landfill in the hot sun all day so I know I have to be leaving shit out.

XJ Stock Solid Axle Suspension:

Cushions, Stabilizer Bar
Grommets, Stabilizer Bar
Link, Sway bar Front
Track Bar Front
Control Arm Upper 2
Bushings, Control Arm
Control Arm Lower 2
Bushings, Control Arm
Coil Spring Front 2
Bumper, Coil Spring 2
Isolator, Coil Spring 2
Shock Absorber, Front 2
Link, Sway bar Rear
Cushion, Stabilizer Bar
Leaf Spring Assembly 2
Bumper, Rear Spring 2
Shackles 2
Bushing, Leaf Spring
Bushing, Leaf Spring
U-Bolts
Nuts, U-bolts

The Drivetrain is a Separate Group, i.e Axle Assembly, Driveshafts, Transfer Case, Transmission, and Hardware.

Hope this helps. You are on your own in Researching the IFS Setup. It is an Assignment After All.

Last edited:
KOH is far from flat.

:D

No. it's Not. I have Only Seen the KOH on Cable Once and it was Only 30 Minutes of Highlights. Honestly, I have No Idea who is the Driver or Owner of that Rig is.

The Only Time I have Seen Rigs Like that Perform was in Baja Style Offroad Races on Cable. I'm Pretty Ignorant when it comes to Other than Auto Maker 4x4s.

An I-beam is probably more simple than IFS (a-arm) and Solid front axle. Especially if it isnt a 4 wheel drive set up.

It's a nice theme for a paper, but the industry trend is away from solids, obviously, despite the extra expense and loss of articulation.

Simply because, the public doesn't really four wheel enough for it to make a difference. Most are driving one as an upgrade to whatever they had before in the neighborhood race for "Best Materialistic Lifestyle." Enter the Escalade.

On road manners and comfort in driving are what 90% of buyers demand, and IFS delivers. The actual use of four powered wheels off road is limited to trails - and they better be ones with no body damage. IFS does ok there.

The actual points of comparison are mostly lost on the general public, or worse, not what they really want. The illlusion will do as well - as H2/H3 sales point out.

So, Toyota et al won't go back - and Jeep will eventually change, too. They did on the Liberty and Grand Cherokee. The clock is ticking on the Wrangler. Consolidating drivelines for assembly line cost reductions, eliminating the expense of designing and testing a separate drivetrain, and continuing buyer apathy will eventually bring the change.

It's the real reason we all keep our Cherokees. We know they'll never make another like it again.

You cant really say that IFS is weaker than a solid setup. The strength of them is more determined by the quality of the parts than the overall design.
For example, a Hummer H1 (none of that weak sauce h2) has IFS setup.

Well said TiRod. They won't ever make anything like the XJ again. Just watered down excuses for Jeeps. We're just lucky they made 2 million of them while in production so they will be sticking around for a while. Personally, I have two and don't plan on getting rid of them.

Back