• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's on stock w/ trimming?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know this has beaten to death, but I need to know if this will work. I have seen threads where 31's fit with trimming, so I'm hoping I can squeeze them in there. My plan was to lift 4.5" first, but I need tires BADLY and just found a great deal on a set of 32's. For just city driving (as little as possible), can I get away with this for a couple weeks until the next payday (lift time)?

I'll trim now anyway and I guess if noone knows I'll find out tomorrow and fill you guys in.

Thanks

33's will fit with trimming too. you can probably get away with it for a couple weeks just cut until they don't rub lock to lock and you should be fine til ya lift it.

I believe with Cutting Out of the Fenders you may be Able to Go to 32s. 32s would be Marginal without a Lift if you Cut as Much as you can, Flatten out the Inner Seam, and Stay with a Narrow Tire Width and if Driven within Speed Limits and only on Pristine Road Surfaces for Short Distances until a Lift is Installed. IMHO

33s are a Bit too much Tire Height. IMHO

Last edited:
You may want to think about how the 32s will look with a trimmed, 4.5" lifted rig...just something to think about.

It just seems a little odd to hack up your rig at stock height just for new tires.

Good luck though.

You may want to think about how the 32s will look with a trimmed, 4.5" lifted rig...just something to think about.

It just seems a little odd to hack up your rig at stock height just for new tires.

Good luck though.

Mine looks great with a RE 4.5" kit, 32's and trimmed fenders. It could use 33's, but I've been running it this way for about a year now and put it through some serious rocks.

Just picked them up: $250 for 4 dunlop brand mud tires in 32/11.5/15 on chrome rims from a '90 wrangler with 85% tread. I'm a little worried about backspacing as I know stock wranglers had 5.5 and stock xj's have 5.25 but 4" is recommended for wheeling. These are aftermarket rims and we've all seen the tj's with half a tire sticking out the side so I'm hoping they have less backspacing than stock. That's just the distance from the inside lip of rim to the mounting plane, correct?

Based on the pictures I've seen, 4.5" with narrow 33's is what I want. I grabbed these because there's a slick bald trailer tire on my front right wheel AND I'm on a tight budget. I'll order rear shackles in 1.5 or 2 ASAP which will be combined with a bastard pack from a Bronco II and 4.5" rusty's in the front.

Will post pics of goofy-looking stock xj on 32's when it's done.

Thanks

Just picked them up: $250 for 4 dunlop brand mud tires in 32/11.5/15 on chrome rims from a '90 wrangler with 85% tread. I'm a little worried about backspacing as I know stock wranglers had 5.5 and stock xj's have 5.25 but 4" is recommended for wheeling. These are aftermarket rims and we've all seen the tj's with half a tire sticking out the side so I'm hoping they have less backspacing than stock. That's just the distance from the inside lip of rim to the mounting plane, correct?

Based on the pictures I've seen, 4.5" with narrow 33's is what I want. I grabbed these because there's a slick bald trailer tire on my front right wheel AND I'm on a tight budget. I'll order rear shackles in 1.5 or 2 ASAP which will be combined with a bastard pack from a Bronco II and 4.5" rusty's in the front.

Will post pics of goofy-looking stock xj on 32's when it's done.

Thanks

Thats a good deal on those tires. I have treadwrights but the tread pattern is nearly identical to the mud rovers. they have a lot of grip! Not the best tire but by far not the worst IMO.

Ran into a snag... Wheels are 5 on 5.5, but they did have 4" backspacing. Can I stick 32x11.5 on 15x7 with the stock backspacing? I think it might be too tight. I'd just try it but funds are really tight now. I'm looking around for cheap old steelies, but they are mostly for big pickups in the wrong bolt pattern. What would you do?

Back