• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rig height

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
So I was wondering what height you go fast guys are sitting at?

And do you guys run long arms or just drop brackets?

DO you stick with the 4 link setup?

My XJ has about 5.5 lift but it has Radius Arms up front, how well will that work going through whoops?

I have the go slow stuff figured out, but I wanna go fast now, lol

So I was wondering what height you go fast guys are sitting at?

And do you guys run long arms or just drop brackets?

DO you stick with the 4 link setup?

My XJ has about 5.5 lift but it has Radius Arms up front, how well will that work going through whoops?

I have the go slow stuff figured out, but I wanna go fast now, lol
Ride height usually varies quite a bit, mine sits a bit higher than I'd like, but that's because the rear leafs were arched that way. Lower is better obviously for stability, but at the same time you need up travel.

I'm on short arms and drop brackets and it works great. Now if I had it to do over again? I'd probably go to a long arm, and I still may who knows, but now that I have all my frame stiffening it's going to be hard. A long arm will help with the arc travel of your front axle during droop vs. short arms.

I also like a true 4 link instead of a y-link/radius arm setup because it keeps the same caster throughout travel, vs. changing caster at droop and causing steering issues.

You should be fine in the whoops with good shocks.

Sounds like your already on your way.I would,nt go any higher if you can resist the temptation,ha.That way you can keep your COG lower,get the best shocks you can,later go with 4 link long arms and some good progressive springs like Deavers.

I had RE long arm kit on my XJ and NEVER had any "steering issues" so don't worry about the radius arm design. And for the record, I drove my jeep HARD through whoops. Ask Tim (Xtimmax ??) and Tony (TCM GLX) and a few others who rode with me with 5 people in my rig out at Lucerne.

As far as ride height, you are screwed by the thing that makes the XJ such a great off road rig......solid front axle. Your engine is in a place where your axle would need to go if you wanted good travel numbers but a low CoG. SO you are forced to go limited travel and just have GREAT shocks and air bumps or go higher and get that extra travel.

I don't plan to go any higher, its already pretty big. I would like ot go with the 4 link, but since I already have the radius arms, I don't want to spend a bunch of money to change it.

I would rather spend it on shocks a cage and whatnot

I had RE long arm kit on my XJ and NEVER had any "steering issues" so don't worry about the radius arm design. And for the record, I drove my jeep HARD through whoops. Ask Tim (Xtimmax ??) and Tony (TCM GLX) and a few others who rode with me with 5 people in my rig out at Lucerne.

I can attest to this, it did GREAT in the go fast stuff, not saying it doesn't work, I just prefer the 4 link setup.

I don't plan to go any higher, its already pretty big. I would like ot go with the 4 link, but since I already have the radius arms, I don't want to spend a bunch of money to change it.

I would rather spend it on shocks a cage and whatnot

I would also agree here, at this point it wouldn't be worth it to make the switch.

Right on, thats good to hear. What steering did you have?

It still has the stock xj steering and I would REALLY like to get something stronger.

Either just get the ZJ steering or a curry setup.

It still has the stock xj steering and I would REALLY like to get something stronger.

I just had this conversation last night with Tony, for the go fast stuff, you don't need anything crazy, I was planning on doing heim steering but it's really not worth it in the end, the time, the money, getting the geometry right, and you still have either a droop problem or a tie rod roll problem.

ZJ steering will be fine unless you slam into a rock at speed, at which point you'll have bigger problems.

Well, I ran stock (but needed to upgrade). That said, I was looking into the stock RHD setup flipped to take some stress off the TRE's.

On my ZJ that I had I used the Curry setup OTK, seemed to work pretty well. I didn't get any bump steer.

One think I did notice with the XJ is that when I am going between 30 and 50 I get DW, not really bad, but enough to be uncomfortable. So I am looking into that also.

Probably just need to make sure its all tight and get a better SS.

The only time i had DW with my rig was when the RE extreme duty track bar bracket worked loose on the frame. Check that and if you have the extreme duty track bar get the brace too!!!

Yep, got both of those. I will check for tightness.

I have to head over to my parents house to check why its overheating and make sure I didn't kill the engine.

Thats a whole nother' story though, lol

Thanks for the info!

As far as ride height, you are screwed by the thing that makes the XJ such a great off road rig......solid front axle. Your engine is in a place where your axle would need to go if you wanted good travel numbers but a low CoG. SO you are forced to go limited travel and just have GREAT shocks and air bumps or go higher and get that extra travel.

Yes yes and yes!! you seem to be at about the height mostof us ended up setting our rigs up.... i had a 5" deaver on the front.... I would also like to be a bit lower, but then you loose uptravel.

Good shocks!! That is the single most important thing!

I can vouch for Andy's jeep, we had that thing loaded with 5 people and a cooler and it was taking the whoops like a champ.

IIRC you bought Alek's ( Alek21) jeep right?

He has the same kit Andy had under his jeep, and It rides pretty good through some rough stuff and flexes pretty good in the slow stuff, I'd just throw on some good shocks and go from there.

yea I bought aleks jeep. I need to figure out why the gauges dont work and it overheats then its go time, lol

The overheating problem is the tires, I told him to sell them to me before he sold it but didnt want to. If you want to fix the problem I could help you out there. They may also be causing the gauge problem,

:D

lol, you want the 33 mudders?

If you have some decent 33 at's on black steelies maybe we can work a trade. I don't care too much for mud tires since I drive on the street 90% of the time.

I can't just sell them because I can't afford to pay for any other tires...

How much difference in height areyou running front to rear?

I see a lot of the jeepspeed stuff looks like the rear is lower.

Maybe an inch or so difference?

Back