• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Bushwacker on 2door XJ

jspecfever

NAXJA Forum User
Honestly What do you guys think? Good or bad? Its not gonna hurt my feelings either way. Im thinking about taking them off anyways

July 17, 2009
I purchased some used bushwacker flares for a good price! I researched the web and i didnt see any write ups on this.. so i said "what the hell better than buying brand new ones.. If i didnt like it I could sell it and get my $ back.

July 19, 2009
I installed the flares
I'm kinda iffy about how far it sticks out... Maybe it will look better with bigger tires.. maybe 33's
Heres some pics

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, It would look better if i get some biigger tires...
Before...
6-26-09003.jpg

6-26-09005.jpg

After...
137.jpg

134.jpg

138.jpg
[/b]

Last edited:
It looks like crap!
x2 on ripping them off on the trail.

Until you get some new rims with at least 5" of backspacing, take those off immediately.

...with new rims and a 12.50 width tire, they might look good.

Good luck either way.

Hello and Welcome to NAXJA!

Naxja is the Authority when it comes to XJs. Never Mind the Unconstructive Posts. Most Jeepers are Willing to Help Out where than can. However, People are People. Take it with a Grain of Salt and Know Most People in General want to see Others Succeed. IMHO

Some BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2s or Something Simular would Look Great Under your Flares. I think in a 30" Tire they only come in the 30X9.5R15. You may be able to Go with the 31X10.5R15s with your XJ and those Flares. I would suggest Using 15x8" Wheels with 3.75" Back Spacing and 1.25" Wheel Spacers to have a Wider Stance Under those Flares. IMHO

Without the Outer Side of the Tires Matching the Outer Edge of the Flares, your XJ Looks Uncompleted. With a Wider Stance, I Believe your XJ would Look Cool. IMHO

Last edited:
15x8!, 10.5" wide tires! he's gonna need 10" wheels and 12.5 wide minimum with as little backspacing as possible to make it look half decent

Bushwhackers look good when the tire fills out the wheel well nicely but they break unlike Stock flares that are very flexible. That is 450 dollars i would rather spend toward a set of tires.

Wow, and I thought the TJ bushwackers I have on my Jeep looked pretty bad. The only need for a flare is to cover tires. (This was the only reason I put them on mine, I needed something to pass inspection, and I got them for $50). Your Jeep's tires do not stick out past the body, there is no need for flares.

Sorry man, but that does look pretty terrible. The fact that they weren't trimmed to fit the body lines, just sit over them, looks pretty bad as well.

As said, a wider tire makes it look slightly better. I also think trimming them some does help.
CopyofDSC_2918.jpg

Yeah I thouhgt it looked bad from the get go.. im taking them off and going to the bone yard to get some new fenders.. As for the rear.. Not sure what im gonna do since i already trimmed them.

It was just an experiment. I was curious on how it would look. I should have just taped it on instead of drilling. lmao.

Thanks everyone for your honest input:)

The flares are coming off once it stops raining

I would suggest Using 15x8" Wheels with 3.75" Back Spacing and 1.25" Wheel Spacers

Are you serious???:rof:

BTW:Bushwackers dont look that bad,When they are designed for an XJ!

Last edited:
i have a 4 door with the same flares, the difference is that i have 33x12.50x15 with 4.5 inch backspace and it looks good( i am a little bias though) it will look good with bigger and wider tires

Are you serious???:rof:

For 30s or 31s... 9.50 and 10.50 is as Wide as they Come for KM2s I Believe. To bring Out the Tire to the Side of the Flares, that is all I could Think of. A Little Hard on the Wheel Bearings, but I do Not see this XJ as a Trail Rig without a Lift. I think with 32s of any Brand, he would Knock Off the Flares. It is just an Opinion. And as Always.... Up for Discussion.

Thanks

Those PitBull Rockers are Really Nice, too. IMHO

I have a Friend who Runs them. Just Awesome Shoes.

The 31x11.50, 32x11.50, and 33x12.50 Growlers would be a Nice Tire for Light to Moderate Wheeling. IMHO

Last edited:
Take em off til you have something to fill em with.

You don't need a lift to be a trail rig. I wheeled my stock Tracker all over the place and wheeled my XJ with just a small 2" boost and 30's.

Take em off til you have something to fill em with.

You don't need a lift to be a trail rig. I wheeled my stock Tracker all over the place and wheeled my XJ with just a small 2" boost and 30's.

He's Absolutely Right. An Xj out of the Box is a Capable Offroad Vehicle.

I guess after being in Florida and Running Trails with so much Mud, I forgot that. Without a Lift and Taller Tires around here the Diffs get Hung Up on the Top of the Mud while the Wheels Spin. I am Usually Pulled Out at least Once or Twice a Trip and I Run 32s with 5"s of Lift.

Back