• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

run away oil pressure guage

bigdumbfun

NAXJA Forum User
So, yesterday I was driving along a windy country highway behind a line of traffic doing 10 mph under the speed limit when all of the sudden my oil pressure pegs high. It wasn't a gradual thing, it bouced off off the backstop and then danced between 40 and the top of the guage until I could pull over. I checked the oil and I still had some. It was kinda hot out but the motor wasn't too hot. When I took off it was fine for the rest of the 4 hour drive home (I did have another problem that may or may not be related, but I'll post a new thread for it).

I changed oil about 1500 miles ago. I had checked it in the morning and topped it off (1/2 quart) to get it to the high mark. It almost seemed like the guage was shorting out?

Electrical or mechanical gauge? If it's the stock gauge, replace it with a mechanical gauge.

x2 electrical stock gauge always craps out get a mech

what oil (weight and type) did you use? And, what filter? After ruling out a bad filter (I'd only expect problems from a Fram), I'd replace the oil pressure sending unit. When mine went bad, it pegged and would drop to around 40-50 at idle. I replaced it 3 years ago and it's been fine since.

xs2 on the sending unit.

what oil (weight and type) did you use? And, what filter? After ruling out a bad filter (I'd only expect problems from a Fram), I'd replace the oil pressure sending unit. When mine went bad, it pegged and would drop to around 40-50 at idle. I replaced it 3 years ago and it's been fine since.
5w30 oil with a cheap napa filter. That's what I have been running for a few years now. I am pretty regular with the changes though. It only did it for 30-60 seconds. I drove home 4 hours away and drove it to work and back today sitting right at 40+/-.

Mine was pegged at 80 as well yesterday. It would dipped to about just shy of 70 at idle. The range is still somewhat consistent at least when it was at normal range of 35 at idle and at max around 53. Still running strong at 120K+ miles, with normal Mobil One oil and filter changes at around 8K.:viking:

Back