• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

part time blower?

bigdumbfun

NAXJA Forum User
So I took a short road trip to Mt. St. Helens yesterday. It was about a 3 hour drive leaving for there at 6:00AM. But on the way back, I-5 traffic was rediculous. I averaged 20 mph from Chahalis to Tacoma. Made the return trip almost 2 hours longer. It was pretty warm out too. Engine was getting on the hot side so I turned on the defroster and rolled the windows down. Held at about 225-230 for the longest time and then all of the sudder started creeping dangerously close to the red. I got off of the highway and let it cool off for a while. Traffic was getting to me and I needed to cool off too. I fired her back up about a half an hour later and realized that my blower wasn't working. I worked on everything but defrost. Turn it on heat or vent and set the speed anywhere but switch to defrost and the fan stops.

Huh?

Made it home just fine after that. Traffic had cleared a bit and I got off of I-5 in another 10 miles or so. Could it be related to the
'out of control oil pressure guage'?

Can't help with your problem, but how was St. Helens? I haven't been up there yet this year. But I did go camping near Mt Adams for three days last week. The weather was typ. N.W. rain first day, clouds 2nd day, warm and sunny last day as we were packing camp.

My 01 xj did awesome. I was towing about 1000 pounds on rough dirt roads at 20 to 30 mph for 1.5 hours up to about 4000 feet elevation. Coolant stayed under 210 the whole trip.

It was beautiful up there. I was on the southside in gifford pinchot natl. forest. I took the kids to the ape caves and we drove around some of the resivoirs and rivers and so on. I would like to get back there again before the summer is over but I'm going to need to camp because I live 150 miles away and I just don't like to deal with freeway traffic. I would rather drive at night/early morning.

What year??

Your overheat sounds like a failing fan clutch, you aren't moving enough air.

Sure the fan stops or is it just the air flow? Blend door could be stuck.

It's a '93. The (blower) fan stops. I tried it with the motor off but the key on and you can hear the motor stop when I go from heat to defrost. As far as the overheat... I have suspected the fan clutch. When I drive home from work at night it stays put at 210. During the day though when it gets 80-90 degrees outside, it heats up a bit more. But it mostly does it on hills, even going 55 mph. Would a fan clutch still seem like the culprit there? I also have heard about using a ZJ fan clutch.

For your HVAC fan, the problem is in the mode switch. The voltage to the fan switch also passes through the mode switch. That is why the fan is off when the mode switch is off. Then when the mode switch is placed in defrost, vent, heat, AC, etc, the mode switch sends the current to the fan speed switch. The contact point in the mode switch for defrost must be burnt or similar. You need a new HVAC switch panel from ebay or junkyard.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but, if you turn on defrost, your A/C turns on aswell. You increased your engines load, not to mention your general ambient temps around your radiator from your condenser.

I know this doesnt help with your question, but it helped you get dangerously close to the red.

If you are heating up when stopped, or stop and go highway/city, I would suspect the fan clutch.

If you are heating at highway speeds then the fan clutch is less suspect.

Well, I put on the ZJ fanclutch from napa (part #272310). It was a little tighter than the other one but it's in. I took it out for a spin and I can hear the fan more now but it's not objectionable. However from a parking lot I had to jump on the gas a bit to get into traffic and something rubbed. Just until I let off a bit. I checked it out and I don't see anything that got hit. The fan is at least 1/2" away from the radiator. Maybe 3/4". The closest thing I can see that it may have hit is the top of the fan shroud. Do I need to clearance something? Was I supposed to leave the fan shroud off? It is in the origional tab/slots in the bottom and same bolt holes on top.

Replaced radiator and fan clutch (single core with a ZJ fan clutch). Not rubbing anymore at all. Cooling waaaaaay better now too. I do have a bad motor mount. I picked one up yesterday but it looks like it may be a PITA to change so I'll wait until the weekend to do it.

Motor mount = 15 to 20 minute job super easy i would change it if you have the extra few minutes. I lost a radiator on my last jeep cause i "Punched it" and the fan hit hard.

Back