• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating on the highway

Ricochet

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a strange problem. I can wheel all day long with the air conditioner running and will maintain 210 degrees. As soon as I hit the highway, its in the red which I usually have to put the heat on full blast to keep it somewhat cooler. I just changed the fan clutch but that did nothing. I also have hood vents installed. Thanks.

Hood vents won't lower your coolant temp; it only lowers engine bay temps.

I believe that running hot at speed is a 'low flow' problem. i.e., bad WP.

Check to see if your lower radiator hose is very soft. It can collapse at higher RPMs and kill your coolant flow. If the water pump were bad it would overheat in all conditions, especially low engine speeds. Another slight possibility is if your tranny is automatic, it could be going bad and getting extremely hot transferring the heat into your coolant as it passes through the tranny cooler in the radiator.

You'd be suprised, it has caused that problem on two of my past vehicles.

I agree. I can be cruising down the freeway and my temp will be just passed 210. Flick on my electric fan, and the temp will drop to 190-200. Fans do make a difference at highway speeds on my rig.

EDIT: although I do see he already put a new clutch fan in...

How did you put a switch on your E-fan?

I had a bad overheating problem and while I was checking it out (had it running and warmed up) the E-Fan never came on. Which is what I think my problem was.

I was thinking about connecting it to a relay so it turns on automatically when I turn the ignition on, but I would rather have a switch.

sorry for hijack, but I am having same problem...

If the water pump were bad it would overheat in all conditions, especially low engine speeds.
Not true,if the impeller has any issues(example:corrosion) it can cause cavitation at high rpm's but flow fine at low rpm's.

Back