• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to fix or replace

Strictly.Offroad

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure most of you remember my ugly 88 reconstructed title xj that needs a ton of work to get going again.

I listed it up on CL for 1000 obo with two sets of wheels and tires, spare 8.25 27-spline shafts, upgraded axles out of a 96 front and rear, 3.5" lift (needs rear springs and shocks), basically a ton of work. Now it needs either a rebuilt motor or a huge overhaul. Engine knock vibrates the entire vehicle and is so loud im surprised it hasn't blown up yet.

Now to my dilema. I want to start my build back up again and when I took inventory of what I had and what it would take to fix, to make it a reliable DD, before any upgrades were started would be astronomical. The bigest item would be the engine. I haven't had the time or money to get it diagnosed to see an estimated repair cost, in NW Portland est. diag $190 starting. not bad for the start but if they diag it and need to go deeper then it could get up to $1000s of dollars. I could buy a replacement motor for 3500 have it installed for another 1500. But at that point i just dropped $5000 on an engine in a reconstructeed jeep worth about $500.

A second option would be to start fresh with a newer jeep and spend about $1500-2500 on that then I would have to start fixing items that may be wrong on that too. The engine may be bad but I would have no idea until I drove it for a while. Just like my current jeep.

End result: I would love to Have a capible jeep with about a 4.5" lift 32" tires and a long arm kit, AT Transmission and manual locks/windows. I would prefer to have a 4.0HO and Dana 44 rear. I want it to be a all around great trail and street vehicle.

Let me know what you all think I should do.
1. Scrap the current jeep, save up and buy a newer rig then modify it.
2. Scrap the current jeep, buy a yj wrangler and play with it until it dies or i can afford a 4dr jk
3. Fix the issues that are dire right away and save up for the modifications as I can afford them.

This is probably the second time ive asked your opinions on this same issue but i bought a house, and lost some family members since the last post so some things have opened up in the near future.

stroke it

You have a lot of options.The simple salution would be to get another Renix motor,should be able to find a good runner for under $500,mabye as little as $200 that would get you down the road.Buy one in a rig that you can hear run,check compression,etc. Swap it in. Then you have the time to rebuild your current motor however you want,stock,stroker,whatever.You can do a good rebuild that will last a long time for a LOT less than $5,000.

I just realized that I currently have a renix motor and would need a bunch more parts to make the HO work properly in the current rig. Is it better to have the HO and convert it or to just retain the renix motor. I'm sure I will get both sides to this.

Perfect Renix electronics and block is supposedly better for stroking aplications.
I started this thread in Street peformance. It collected a wealth of useful knowledge.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=999664

Back