• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting shocks higher in the front?

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever do anything like tha? Cut the stock spot out bigger and run a hoop down to the unibody or something? Just sitting here bored and thinking of ideas lol

You don't see this mod. on a lot of rigs because it's illegal in J.S. and it seems that most people copy the JS builds. Our BITD 7100 truck has the upper shock mounting points through the inner fender and up around the top of the valve cover on an engine cage.

I've also thought about cutting a hole, and mounting a bar pin eliminator on the top side inner fender, allowing an extra inch or so of shock length. 'Probably not worth the effort for just 1 inch. Getting a lot more length is work because the left shock mount is directly under the brake MC You can only move that shock up about 2" unless you relocate something.(early model, the late MC is smaller and you have about an inch more room)

Why would you lower it. I don't think I have seen anyone do this. They all change the type of mount so you can use regular mount shocks.

This is as low as people go with them.

DSCF3247.jpg

IMG_0962.JPG

Damn way to make my axle look wimpy hahaha.

the only reason they are so beefed is because they are so far away from anything "structural(axle tube)" due to the stock limitations in the class(coil springs and upper shock mounts). Yours are the definition of simplicity and strength:). Looking forward to seeing it under your rig!

I see. Why can you lower the shock mount in JS but not raise it?
The lower mounts are open in the rule book. Due to space constraints on the axle, they can't move around too much. They can successfully be moved down an inch or two.

Jeepspeed's original purpose was to open up a race class that was fairly cheep to compete in. As part of that, they constrained the front suspension modifications, limited front travel to 10 inches, and made it illegal to run the shocks through the inner fenders. This keeps people from building a rig that can mount $2000.00 shocks on each corner. Since you can build a JS competitor with the maximum travel and keep the shock under the sheet metal, nobody really cares(in JS anyway).

Here's what the competitors are dealing with:
http://www.jeepspeed.com/rules/rules.shtml
the link where it says,"CLICK HERE FOR CLASS 1700 RULES"

Here's kind of an idea of what's possible when you don't build to a rule book.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=994493&page=3
That's not an insult, by the way. I like it. :loveu:

I've got the Rock Krawler lower mounts with my lower shock mounts, mounted off those. I would definitely recommend the RK mounts! They are way strong and act as a skid too. If im not mistaking, the Currie mounts, mount with the flat side up, the RK mounts have the flat side down, weld around the tubes and the whole front portion of the mount is welded to the housing as well.

Back